Vitesse 6, what steering wheel

sprtz

Original Vitesse wheel gets my Vote, with a new Leather cover fitted though.

I've got a Formula type Wooden steering wheel on my Vitesse, its the same Dish as the Standard wheel.

It looks good but I would prefer a thicker rim, it doesn't feel as nice as the Original Leather rimmed wheel.

I'd like a Mk1 GT6 Wheel of a similar style but with a thick leather rim for my Car but they are very rare and seem to fetch top Dollar on E-bay :B  

When I bought my 'wire' steering wheel for my 13/60, it had two leather covers fitted. Felt very nice. They have both since disintegrated from old age and abuse.  Replacement is on the 'to do' list.
I've previously had a Mota-Lita wood rim wheel on another car and found the finish to be less than satisfactory. It didn't seem to be very UV resistant in an open top car...

I voted for the standard Vitesse wheel.    We call them "Banjo Wheels" here.   Wheel 1 is what i call a standard Herald wheel.  OK but too big and you have to slide under when getting into the car.   I have the banjo wheel on both of my Herald convs.    I also like the wood ones and prefer the round holes.   I have a Mota on my Dolomite and like it.   Wheel #2, I do not like a thick wheel, I know some do.  I get a better grip and feel on a thin wheel.  

That is a nice finish on your dash garyf! I like that very much indeed! The wheel I have to be fitted to mine is 13in diameter, which is smaller than standard I believe. I do like the wooden wheels, I had a 1/2 wood 1/2 leather one in my old Jaguar and that was lovely. The wheel I have to be fitted is this one: http://www.mountneyltd.com/product/classic-woodrim-steering-wheel it was bought for me as a present a few years ago. Ideally I would have liked a thicker rimmed one, but I'm not going to smack a gift horse in the mouth am I? :)

Maybe in a few years I'll upgrade to a thicker rim.

1953 wrote:
That is a nice finish on your dash garyf! I like that very much indeed! The wheel I have to be fitted to mine is 13in diameter, which is smaller than standard I believe. I do like the wooden wheels, I had a 1/2 wood 1/2 leather one in my old Jaguar and that was lovely. The wheel I have to be fitted is this one: http://www.mountneyltd.com/product/classic-woodrim-steering-wheel it was bought for me as a present a few years ago. Ideally I would have liked a thicker rimmed one, but I'm not going to smack a gift horse in the mouth am I? :)

Maybe in a few years I'll upgrade to a thicker rim.

The Photograph was taken towards the end of the rebuild in 2006, I can't take any credit for the Dashboard or Door Cappings, they were refurbished by Chapman & Cliff, Ex Rolls Royce guys.

Refinished the Steering wheel myself though using plenty of Elbow grease, Solvol Autosol on the Alloy parts and numerous coats of varnish with carefull rubbing down between the coats on the wood, the wheel only cost a £1 too ;).

garyf wrote:

The Photograph was taken towards the end of the rebuild in 2006, I can't take any credit for the Dashboard or Door Cappings, they were refurbished by Chapman & Cliff, Ex Rolls Royce guys.

Refinished the Steering wheel myself though using plenty of Elbow grease, Solvol Autosol on the Alloy parts and numerous coats of varnish with carefull rubbing down between the coats on the wood, the wheel only cost a £1 too ;).

I guessed that woodwork was Chapman & Cliff's handiwork.  Top quality.  If you look closely you can see that the dash and the door capping veneer are all cut from the same sheet, thus the grain follows all the way through the car.  Nice work.

Mark

1218 wrote:

I guessed that woodwork was Chapman & Cliff's handiwork.  Top quality.  If you look closely you can see that the dash and the door capping veneer are all cut from the same sheet, thus the grain follows all the way through the car.  Nice work.

Mark

I never noticed the Cappings matching aswell, They told me it's American Walnut which was the original Veneer used for the Hearald/Vitesse Dash's?

The Dash & Cappings Still look good now :)  

1953 wrote:

Jealous!

It didn't look like that when I bought it!

It didn't have the centre boss either, had to pinch that off the wheel which was on the Car, that had a flatter dish to it.

Still a bargain though, the chap wanted £2 for it? I had to offer him less, it was an Austin 7 Rally Autojumble ;D

SO vitesse 2 ltr/mk2 or Nardi...  Nardi is dished aswell but the wooden wheels always feel a bit "slippery" thats why the Nardi was removed from spitty, saw the new leather covers on the bay, thnx for that.  we'll see  first put some new bushes in the column an try fit  ;)

I don't have any problem with the large(ish) flat woodrim I've got in my 1200 conv. - having said that I jumped in the other week & snapped off the indicator stalk!!  :B
Had a smaller flat-rim 'Moto-Lita' on my then MGA, years ago - I seem to remember sanding it & giving it a couple of coats of marine varnish...a great wheel & the finish never deteriorated & I'd drive through rain in that car, topless with the tonneau zipped back.

4058 wrote:

Was the rain hitting your chest not cold and painfully on the nipples?  ;D

..Even I was'nt that brave, Shaun....Mind you, I'm sure I can remember driving her on a hot, sunny day wearing just shorts & with bare feet...(but that was about 25yrs. ago...!!!)  8)