Checking front trunnions

m807ppp

Is there a fall proof way of checking trunnions on a 1978 spitfire, ie checking for movement, I've had my spitfire for two months, and am inclined to just replace them regardless of condition then I know these are ok, or else i'am tempted to check for movement, and if there is none fill with ep90

It's not the trunnion itself which usually fails, it's the vertical link which breaks at the point where it exits the trunnion. Wear is easy enough to detect, but rust spots giving rise to stress fractures won't be detected without stripping down the link.

Cheers,
Bill.

Wear can be checked by raising the front of the car so the front wheels are 1" or so above the ground then using a bar (jack handle) between the tyre and the ground to lever the wheel upwards. Watch the meeting between trunnion and vertical link (where the rubber sealing ring is) for movement. There should be none visible.  I also repeat the exercise while gripping the joint area with my spare hand so I can also feel for movement.  This should be barely detectable.  If there is excessive movement then it is usually cured by renewing the brass trunnion.  The vertical link can be inspected at the same time.  The critical area is the very top of the treading section which is where any cracks/breakage tend to occur.  Corrosion at this point is a reason to renew the link IMO.

Note that in my experience your average modern MoT man is unable to detect worn trunnions, especially if he uses one of those mechanical suspension testers.  I have discovered a very tired trunnion right after passing an MoT....... so don't assume recent MoT = ok trunnions!

Nick

Nick_Jones wrote:
Wear can be checked by raising the front of the car so the front wheels are 1" or so above the ground then using a bar (jack handle) between the tyre and the ground to lever the wheel upwards. Watch the meeting between trunnion and vertical link (where the rubber sealing ring is) for movement. There should be none visible.  I also repeat the exercise while gripping the joint area with my spare hand so I can also feel for movement.  This should be barely detectable.  If there is excessive movement then it is usually cured by renewing the brass trunnion.  The vertical link can be inspected at the same time.  The critical area is the very top of the treading section which is where any cracks/breakage tend to occur.  Corrosion at this point is a reason to renew the link IMO.

Note that in my experience your average modern MoT man is unable to detect worn trunnions, especially if he uses one of those mechanical suspension testers.  I have discovered a very tired trunnion right after passing an MoT....... so don't assume recent MoT = ok trunnions!

Nick

In other words its knowing your TR onions.... :B

My MOT man failed my car for slack trunions, when I took it back he tested them exactly as described. He'd been an apprentice in a Triumph dealership and says he looks forward to seeing my car. He knows a little too much about Triumphs for my liking!

You don’t need the history; just clean them and inspect them… especially when as Bill says it’s the vertical link that wears and snaps. No amount of new trunnions will cure or compensate for wear on the link at this point, although I suppose a new set of good(!) trunnions will at least put your mind at rest regarding that area of the suspension units. If the link is in any way suspect, replace.

I've had a vertical link snap, an invigorating experience so say the least!  ??) My car's PO thought lubrication was for wimps. As stated check the thread right at the top, any deterioration, ditch it. Regarding grease, grease was once water based and turned to damaging powdery grit so Triumph changed to oil for trunions. Oil is a better lubricant in this application but grease is no longer water based and your PO may not have done any damage using it.

As others have said its the vertical link that really needs the inspection and will show wear.

I decided to go trunnionless from Canleys when I did my rebuild so I never had to even think about them again which is nice. Little bit pricey (not loads more than 2 new vertical links though)

http://www.canleyclassics.com/suspension-steering-and-brakes/trunnionless-front-suspension-kit/

Although well maintained trunnions/VL's will of course work well.

Having had two VL snaps, one in the `70s and one about 14 years ago, it was still a basis for investing in trunnionless.
It was always at the back of mind, when whipping around mountain passess on the 10 CR or on autosolos, that the stress put on that weak area of the suspension would eventually tell in the form of a snap
When you think about how small a diameter of metal is that holds the front end up , whether lubricated or not, its a bit un nerving.
Trunnion less is great,just for piece of mind, allowing you to have a relaxed drive ,knowing you would not have three wheel on your wagon.
Not only that, but the conversion allows a far easier manageability on steering....a lot more free turning    

It’s interesting in that the threads wear, but the top of the link snaps off! I’ve had both, a link breaking off and a trunnion jumping off the bottom due to having insufficient threads to hold it on.
You can see the difference between a newish one and a well-worn one in the photos below, and work out from that how much wear there is in yours.

JohnD wrote:
Is it so surprising? It's the top of the thread that is exposed to water and weather, and where the stress is concentrated.
John

Many years ago I had an MOT advisory that the tapered top rubber seal was missing,for some unknown reason, and that is where the top of the threads needs grease slapping all around and under the seal to prevent corrosion