Rocker gear overhaul advice

mazfg

Right the time has finally come to address this as mine does seem somewhat rattly. having the 1600 engine there does not seem to be an off the shelf ready to go rocker assembly. Wondering what the best overhaul was for me as it looks like not all parts are available?
Rimmers did a kit here: http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-RV6126   was hoping something like this would be good enough? How likely are the pedestals to be worn over the shaft?

I could individually buy rocker shaft, rockers (x12) from James Paddocks and that's a bit cheaper. Thought the springs are really that unlikely to be that worn? Also would I need the rocker end plugs? do these go in the end of the shaft?  As I said not all parts are readily available so trying to minimise cost and what I'm probably actually likely to need.

How easy is it to get the mills pin out? all help appreciated

Thanks in advance

Did you mean this: http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID005941
BUT DEMAND THAT THEY REMOVE THE EXTERNAL OIL PIPE and reduce the price accordingly.

The shaft does not move in the pedestles so they will not be worn at all.

But "Rattly"?     Most likely the shaft is worn - you might get away with just that, if the rockers slide onto it and do not rick side to die when pushed.
John

Hmmm, that link definitely won't seem to work, but it's not he page you mention it's for the kit Part No.: RV6126

That's good to know then, so really shaft and rockers at the most. What's with the rocker end plugs, do I need those if I order the rocker shaft? Do they fit in the end of the shaft?

Thanks

you can modify a mk2 shaft ,  to fit a mk1/1600 but need to shorten it and  tap the oilway to take a bolt/washer  to hold the last rocker , this replaces the cap and pin arrangement,
as a  mk2 shaft is longer , use the old pedestals, the rockers are common across the 6 pot range  
take photo or sketch of where the spacers, spings and which way round the rocker is handed.

you can with a fine grind wheel easy to reface the worn stem contact damage quite successfully, by reginding a contour on the rocker  we made a swingng arm wooden carrier to give a sweep action on a small drill sharpener table .

Pete

if you wreck the mills pin a spirol  rol pin would work   or even a decent split pin,

whatever .... you need to seal the ends of the oilway

we only faffed around when sold the wrong gear and stuck with a now what solution ...it lasted 12 years till i sold her

Pte

Quoted from timbancroft61
New shafts these days seem to be sold with plugs with an thread and a hexagonal shaped hole for allen key use.

Well, just received my shaft from Canleys and it has the plugs already fitted. No hexagonal shaped hole, but they look like they've been tapped in.
Not to take the end caps off the old and re-assemble the new shaft with new rockers.

Ok, so new rocker gear assembled and fitted.....well not impressed..it may be quieter but it doesn't seem happy..? VAcuum gauge used to show at idel 18mm/HG not around the 15 mark is shows now and seems lumpy. at idle... revs ok etc...seems to be a bit more smoke out.... (    Not sure what's happened...  Does the rocker gear need to bed in a bit?? The ball to cups on the pushrods need to settle??

the old gear was definitely worn, especially the shaft.... any tips please!!! :O)

Initally did that...what worrys me is that I hadn't fully wound out some of the adjustment screws and bolted it all down....realised all valves were being pushed on and engine would turn by hand....kind of thought could a valve have pushed on to the top of a cylinder??  I knkow there is some clearance on the head ..but wondered if I'd bent a valve in the process of bolting rocker gear down...?? It did seem tight at the time and then realised that some screws weren't fully out!!!

If you  were turning the engine by hand, and a piston contacted a valve, I think you would feel the resistance.
And if you had bent a valve, you would have one not returning to full height, so lay a ruler along the valve stems and see they all come up.

Might be best to wind back all the rocker adjusting screws, loosen the rocker pedestals and retighten, starting in the middle and working outwards to ensure no distortion.
Then do all the rocker gaps again.
While it's all loose, check the valves move OK, press down on the stem tip with a'suitable tool' using body weight.

Trying to think of other probs you might be facing.   While a carb.tune is never a bad idea, the cause of a problem is ALWAYS due to what you last did to the car!
Did you reuse the old rockers?   Did you check that the tips, where they contact the valve stem, are not worn?
A feeler gauge will bridge the gap, and give you a larger setting than intended, and a worn rocker will just go on wearing as the surface hardening will have gone.

And how worn are the old rockers on the new shaft?  Should have NO wobble.
The rest of the valve gear  is as it was, I take it?   Push rods and followers?   So if you have a problem it MUST be in the new shaft/new rockers, if any.
JOhn

Thanks John.  I have new rockers and a new shaft.

Pushrods original and the cam followers were all replaced as part of my head overhaul last year.

The new rockers aren't a snug fit on the shaft there is a little play? Is this normal? I'm guessing any oil forced through the shaft takes this up?

Will do a compression test anyway and check my valves as you mention. I couldn't turn the engine by hand after first fitting rocker gear,  because all rockers were down on valves making it too tight to move, due to some adjusting screws in rather than fully out.

Thanks again, will report back on findings

Well, i've checked clearances again and tuned and all seems better. I think i ned to drive it and blow out some cobwebs...coem back and have a serious tune again. It's so much quieter which is a good thing and vaccum seemed a little better too! Compression check didn't show anything bad as similar to old results!

My only concern was that the old rockers on the old shaft were more of a snug fit than this new shaft and rockers....

Drove it yesterday...certainly feels tighter, more responsive and the oil pressure is up a tad too!. Runs well, idles ok and after a blast on the ring road, vacuum gauge reads almost what it was before..Happy chapppy!  Oh, and very quiet now!