Engine rocker cover

MK3

The engine rocker cover on my 1970 MK3 Spit is rusty and peeling and looks like its been hand painted silver at some time. It also has mismatched studs holding it down.

What is the correct original colour, has anyone got any photos of an original or restored to spec cover ?

thanks

I think they were the same as the MK IV which you can see below, the original colour was silver - again for the MK iV - The one in the picture has been powder coated but I no longer use it as I went alloy, you can have it for £15 plus postage if you want it. I can send you some more photo's if you like.

7378 wrote:
I think they were the same as the MK IV which you can see below, the original colour was silver - again for the MK iV - The one in the picture has been powder coated but I no longer use it as I went alloy, you can have it for £15 plus postage if you want it. I can send you some more photo's if you like.

Hi, let me check its the same shape as my tatty one and I'll get back to you

thanks

Nick_B. wrote:
Hi

This is what a 1970 spitfire mk 3 engine rocker cover would look like.

Cheers
Nick

Yes that's the shape of mine too. It is slightly different, than the later models. Mine is FD91000+ so I guess it should be Silver, any particular shade ?

It also has steel wheels in Silver that are also peeling .. is that colour correct for a late Mk3 Spit ?

Wheels also silver. Windowframe is black. Ignition key is columnmounted instead of dashmounted. Only one reversinglight on a console above the numberplate. No scrolling script Spitfire Mk3, but a spitfiire badge on the wings and bonnet and a triumph badge on the bootlid

I don't know which shade of silver, just grabbed the ordinary silverthing from the local shop

Cheers
Nick

Nick_B. wrote:
Wheels also silver. Windowframe is black. Ignition key is columnmounted instead of dashmounted. Only one reversinglight on a console above the numberplate. No scrolling script Spitfire Mk3, but a spitfiire badge on the wings and bonnet and a triumph badge on the bootlid

I don't know which shade of silver, just grabbed the ordinary silverthing from the local shop

Cheers
Nick

And different position of wipers + minor changes in floor pan layout ...  :-)

While speaking of rocker covers.

I want to freshen up mine a little. What paint do I need? I've got some high-temp paint left over from painting the rear brake drums and also some ordinary russet brown (colour of the car) in a tin.

Will normal paint withstand the temps in the engine bay?

4277 wrote:
Has anyone had theirs powder coated, should look nice, I could get mine done when I get the steel wheels powder coated. Are there any downsides to consider vs ordinary silver paint and laquer ?

The one on mine is powder coated - no real problems looks the part.