beefertoo

hi all, i'm looking at changing my spit to 2.5 over the winter and as such already have a crank.

question is what benifit will i get from an early tr6 cam? (the engines currently a standard gt6)

according to the ebay seller the cams marked up 307621.

thanks craig

p.s i'm thinking also to fit 1 3/4 carbs and a pi dizzy when i can find one, or poss megasquirt if funds allow.
any thoughts welcome

The std Vitesse/GT6 mk2 / Early PI cam is a good compromise and will work well with carbs.  TR5/Early TR6 will give more grunt at the expense of temperment on carbs.  Would expect it to give excellent results with MS.  Depends what you want really.  Either will bust gearboxes and diffs without breaking into a sweat.

Speaking from experience, over-camming a road car should be avoided - mostly it justs annoys.

Nick

Craig,

If you are planning on going MegaSquirt then I would go for the wilder cam. The EFI really tunes out any "issues" and will make it in to a beast of an engine. I have a wilder cam in my 2 litre and on EFI it's really not an issue at all on the road - and that's in a much heavier big saloon which would highlight a weaker engine.

James

Tim Ward's 2.5L Mk3 GT6 has a TR5 camshaft and 1.75" carbs. I drove it around the carpark at Prescott, and rode shotgun up the hill with Tim, and it felt perfectly civilised. Smooth idle, gobs of torque at low speed and quite good top end as well. I'll either fit one of these or a GT variant in my Mk3 when engine-building time arrives.

Nick_Moore wrote:
Tim Ward's 2.5L Mk3 GT6 has a TR5 camshaft and 1.75" carbs. I drove it around the carpark at Prescott, and rode shotgun up the hill with Tim, and it felt perfectly civilised. Smooth idle, gobs of torque at low speed and quite good top end as well. I'll either fit one of these or a GT variant in my Mk3 when engine-building time arrives.

Thanks Nick ;)

Some people like a revvy 2 litre, other people get seduced by the torque of a 2.5  :B

ps stay away from the 307621 thats a detuned 2000 saloon style cam fitted to the American TR250; the GT6 MkII / 132bhp Saloon PI cam is better.

The TR5/TR6 cam is a differant animal and not a 307621.  :)

jcarruthers wrote:
A revvy 2 litre is far more suited to a sportscar than a lazy 2.5

I prefer that but then I expect to drive a sportscar like a sportscar.

(and errrr a big saloon like a sportscar too :) )

Sorry james but mine just isn't lazy! at least i don't think so :-/

Ah, but is it revvy? ;D
This will always be a matter of taste of course.
                                                                  Cheers,
                                                                  Paul

1317 wrote:
Ah, but is it revvy? ;D
This will always be a matter of taste of course.
                                                                  Cheers,
                                                                  Paul

What do you call revvy Paul?

Tim,
I think a small crank 1296 is revvy vs say, a 1500.
                                                              Cheers,
                                                              Paul

Archived