Golf Radiator Help Please!

sinicl

Hi guys, I desperately need help with my golf radiator conversion. For some reason as soon as the car comes up to temp its filling the header tank and boiling over. All the hoses are getting hot and it doesn't appear to have an airlock anywhere. I'm scratching my head to what the problem could be??

Using a brand new golf mk2 rad, header tank is from a clio, we put a service valve in the top pipe to work as a reducer, if we have it fully closed then it fills the header tank via the bottom pipe, if we crack it open even a tiny bit it just causes the header tank to fill even quicker.

Hey guys, thanks for the advice. Laptop battery died so I'm only just able to respond now.

As the temp comes up to normal you can see water start flowing through the top pipe back to the header tank filling it. From there it just spikes through the roof. Thinking there could be a number of problems here though. The rad fan isn't really kicking in until its to late. Its got a 95 degree switch in it that was tested and working, going to throw a 90 degree switch in tomorrow and see if that makes a difference. Also thinking I may have an airlock somewhere, all the hoses are getting warm, including the heater hoses, however running the car up without the airbleed at the top of the rad capped off there is only a bit of a trickle that comes and goes in spurts.

Was wondering if it was the expansion tank but it makes no difference if we run with or without the cap on, still get the same result.

Thermo is working, tested it in a kettle. We're going to pressure bleed it and make sure that its not an airlock. Its got a clio expansion tank which looks to be about half the size of the astra one everyone else uses. I will try and find an astra tank and rule that out as well.

Thanks for the help guys, appreciate it!

Cheers
Simon

Does your thermostat have an air bleed hole in it?  Some don't and as I've discovered to my cost in the past, they can also seal well enough to cause an enormous air lock in the head and because this keep the water away from the 'stat it doesn't get warm enough to open.  Meanwhile things are getting far hotter than they should (though maybe not on the gauge as the sensor is also in the air bubble) and water is blowing out of any available orifice obscuring the real problem.

You can drill a small hole in it (3 - 4mm) to allow the air through or bleed the system via the temp sender hole.

Nick

Iain, thanks for the offer of on the oxalic acid, I'll keep that in mind. I've got an astra tank coming now so I can rule that out. It does look a fair bit bigger than the clio tank.
Nick, cheers for the heads up on the thermostat. I'll check it out.

Its definitely an expansion tank with pressure cap etc etc.

Thanks
Simon

• 4 weeks later...

Just to close this one of for anyone that strikes the same problem. Changed to an Astra tank and the problem went away. Clio header tank was to small.

If I get time I may try and measure the difference in volume, be interesting to see how much it was!