Overdrive pic & loose wire

Wolverine27

Hi all
my overdrive has never worked since getting it back from the MOT, previous electrician said he saw lights dim when engaged and heard a click all good signs. One of the wires came loose, so i cut a small hole in the cover to look before removing it all if I need too. Can anyone help as to where this will go, could be a very easy fix fingers crossed!. poss connects to the piece on top?

Well that is not a GT6 gearbox, must be big saloon.

Now if the box is wrong, what else has been changed, chances are the wiring loom is a hybrid.

Assumption has to be that there should be 2 wires on the top switch, and as there is 1 and an empty terminal, that is the best place to start.

Cheers

4536 wrote:
I held the loose wire in place and heard nothing when flicked on; without driving any other tests? Which pieces should I replace?  Both round thingys?

maybe get the tunnel back off ( i'm sure you aren't glad to hear this , i know  :B) but then can you get better access to the wires .. follow what's for what .. not that hard i know now and make sure it works electrical .. it can be maybe the switch at the top is no good anymore or something else .. first thing is to get power to the solenoide  ;)

Personally I'd get a volt meter and check that the green feed wire (plain green, no trace colour) has 12V (or thereabouts) on it when the ignition is on.
Does the reversing light work?
The if there's a feed via the green, I'd switch off, and start looking at continuity across the switches in various gears - one should "work" when you are in reverse, the other (IIRC) in 3rd and 4th

4526 wrote:

maybe get the tunnel back off ( i'm sure you aren't glad to hear this , i know  :B) but then can you get better access to the wires .. follow what's for what .. not that hard i know now and make sure it works electrical .. it can be maybe the switch at the top is no good anymore or something else .. first thing is to get power to the solenoide  ;)

can you replace the solonoid from under the car i would have thought you had better access than removing the tunnel cover?

Even a simple test lamp is good for tracing circuits.
Avoids the risk of further damage by shorting things straight to frame, inherent when simply touching existing bits of the circuitry together, though we have all done this sort of thing from time to time and regretted it.

I managed to get the voltmeter on to the switches. i have power to the swicth on the left, but nothing for the one on top of the gear box and nothing at the solonoid either.

assuming the switch on the side powers the solonoid, and that in turn to the switch on top of the gear box which in turn goes to the switch on the gearknob.

replace solonid ?

i've seen this  :) .. gearbox was from a TR6 if i was right ?

http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/jod/JOD4/JOD4.htm (look at nearly the bottom of the site, there is a photo and a electric diagram .

the switch on top of the gearbox is the inhibitor,  the one on the side .. reverse light switch ..