My Spitfire restoration & GT6 conv. - 7 years work

npanne

Nope - Got a huge great pile of rusty bits, and a very VERY small pile of shiny bits - just working through the rusty ones so that I can move them to the shiny pile.

In fairness to myself, the calipers are nearly done, the new bearings, brake pads, shoes and hoses are ready, and the GT6 turrets just need a quick coat of paint. The 5.5J wheels are at the blasters (well, with a mate who has access to an industrial shot blasting cabinet), and a few other bits are coming together too. Dials are tested and ready to slot in, rad is fine, and the bonnet could go on if I could stand the colour mis-match.

I've thought of doing this many, many times over the years, but always come back to the thought that a light agile 1300 is what I have and what I actually want. Then I see someone's 2L spit and the thoughts start all over again. Maybe I need 2 Spitfires?

That is definately the way forwards - in fact, why stop at 2?

I believe the correct formula for calculating the right number of Triumphs to own is:

number of parking / garage spaces you have + number of friends with empty garages + 1.

Or:
Number of Triumphs that the wife / girlfriend /partner will allow + 1.

;D

I wouldn't worry Clive - He'll never get round to it.

I've been waiting for him to get his hard-top out of my garage for the last year or so..... and that's not a dirty euphemism before you ask.

I'm not really sure I want that much attention. Actually, I saw a GT6 last weekend in a metallic burgandy and it looked amazing.

The compressor will probably be the route I end up taking. But then if you were paying then I could afford to get it done properly....

First, I will note that TWO triumphs can fit in one side of a 2-car garage :)

Second, maybe I can inspire you to speed:

1 month ago - new frame primed, many parts ordered

1 month later - car is sitting on three wheels (all four by tomorrow!)

I have not, though, cleaned up and painted my engine mounts yet. So you have me there!

Archived