Classic auto electricians

Spider

As I am having an enforced career change (long story and life's too short) I was thinking of starting up as a Classic auto electrician. I have a workshop with ramp and soon to have a large camper/mobile workshop van. I have been a radio communications technician for over 30 years with many of those years fitting radio/data communications systems into a variety of different vehicles.
What I am trying to research is the demand for such a service for classic vehicles be it road or agricultural. Motorsport and kit cars is also a consideration, possibly at a later date.
Your thoughts, ideas and suggestions will be taken in good taste (where's Smithy when you need some risque humour)  

I look forward to reading your responses.

many thanks

Spider

hi spider,
i would say "go for it" around my way (north shropshire) there is a great demand for agricultural electricians. as i was in the motor trade (before ill health bit me) i am always getting asked if i know anyone good with electrics? not so much though on classic cars
my 1st rule of going it alone, is dont get into "debt" many people do and fall down.
it worked for me so best of luck.

regards,

tony.

Classic electrics are pretty simple to understand and work on......apparently!
Not my experience  though I hate them I bet there's loads of people on here that would pay for things like having relays put in for their lights and such like.
Trouble is with our cars being relatively low value is cost of paying 'experts'.

If you go for it ....and I'd say it's got to be worth a go,why not change your signature too include your service,location and contact info?

Give serious thought as to where you customers are going to come from.  Could you get referrals to you by other businesses.  I know of a couple of chaps who get much of the work from garages that are too small to do it all.  One does automatic gearboxes and the other cylinder head stuff. So I guess you could do the same with classic auto electrics.

Thanks for the replies guys, good answers too, (well the type I wanted to hear anyway)
I have most of the equipment, needs some work though, so won't need to put myself too much further into debt 🤔, I have contacts in the motorsport, classics car and agricultural world who have all told me there is a skill shortage in electrics.
I will be able to travel to customers premises, transport their vehicle to a workshop or receive work at my workshop. I will also be refurbishing electrical ancillaries, starters,alternators,wiper motors etc in the slow periods.
I think there is enough variety there to stop me from getting bored and should also be enough work from a variety of different sources to make a reasonable living, I am very cheap to run, apart from buying up Triumph stuff 😀
The only major cost I see from here will probably be insurance   must go and check out some quotes.

Thanks for the ideas, thoughts and encouragement.

Spider.

One contributor here who resides here in the Netherlands was a classic automotive mechanic before he decided to do exactly what you propose.  He said it was very quiet in the first 6 months or so and then it took off and now there is a waiting list.
He does work for all sorts, classics, motorsports, custom jobs, high-end horse floats, you name it.  He says it has been the best professional decision he has made.

Julian

Any chance you can start small and take your time setting up a client database and name for yourself whilst doing it part time? A lot of people who have been successful have done it this way as it's financially safer. Eventually you realise you have to do it full time.

When I started something new like you it was through choice rather than being forced on me. I made myself (as much as possible...) comfortable with the idea of not making any money for five years. Worked out pretty well as within three I was in profit and another career opportunity came in front of me at that moment so I took that as well! It's 50/50 commitment and luck as to how successful it works out.

I hope it goes well for you.

Quoted from Spitfire6
Hi,
Spider, i have the YAESU FT 102.
Cheers,
All the luck to you.l
G6SBH.,
Iain.

That must be a tight fit in a Spitfire Iain 🤔

Ferny, I haven't been earning anything for 3 yrs so a few more should not make much difference. 🙁 I plan to refurb electrical ancils and instruments to sell on "flea pit"   whilst the rewiring side of things pick up. I also invested in a job lot of more modern car spares to sell on the same format, plus around 6 cars to break, just to keep the wolf from the door.
I am wanting to travel a lot more with my dogs so I hope my "unique selling point"   I hate business/sales speak, will be my ability to travel and stay over night if required in my soon to be converted van, that way I can work at customers premises, if suitable, or transport back to my wksp. Obviously small jobs would have to be local need to keep expenses in check.
I have a few irons in the fire, I will have to see which heats up the quickest.

I am also studying for a diploma in canine behaviour as that is something I always wanted to do, will be a nice little sideline once I retire from real work.

Your replies are so encouraging it urges me on so much more.

Spider

Be careful with the car breaking, or at least quiet. You need a licence for "proper" breaking and people doing it as a hobby have been dropped in the poop by neighbours. Thought it best to warn you if you haven't had time to check the fine details yet.

Quoted from ferny
Be careful with the car breaking, or at least quiet. You need a licence for "proper" breaking and people doing it as a hobby have been dropped in the poop by neighbours. Thought it best to warn you if you haven't had time to check the fine details yet.

Only going to do the ones I have now, one at a time and within the confines of my workshop, got really good neighbours, one is really into cars and his brother builds very nice vauxhall race engines and the other restored a MK2 Spitfire from buckets of rust. Just trying to maximise the assets I have lying around for business start up funds, besides too much heavy work for me these days and trying to get away from moderns 😆

Thanks for the heads up though as these are the sort of details one may not be aware of and cause much stress later on.