Seats - details and rebuilding

Duncdude

Having just acquired my 1972 car i think i am beginning to learn a little about how it may have changed over the years. The seats for example, have head restraints. All my internet research so far suggests that if original to the year they wouldnt have restraints. I now imagine that they have been changed.
Not a problem however as i need to refurbish them anyway and the covers are in really good condition. It is the foams that have given up.
I have seen the new foams that are available but they do look rather expensive (x2 seats) for a seat and squab replacement.
From the images i have seen of the seat and squab, the foam shapes do not look particularily complicated. Has anyone cut their own from freely obtainable foam block or is the idea of making your own just ridiculous? :-/

242 wrote:
Give Owen a call he sells all the bits to go with the foams.
RR

Cheers for the info, but who is Owen? and what extra bits would i need?
I havent yet dismantled the seats but i am expecting the frames to be ok and again, i thought i would be able to manufacture my own card/fibreboard retainers.

6817 wrote:
Sorry to hijack the thread but, is there any foam inparticular we should be looking to purchase?

Thanks

No worries about getting involved in the thread, we're all on here for the same reason. Besides, it's a good question and one that the answer would benefit me also.

Anyone got any helpful advice to contribute?  :)

7767 wrote:

Cheers for the info, but who is Owen? and what extra bits would i need?
I havent yet dismantled the seats but i am expecting the frames to be ok and again, i thought i would be able to manufacture my own card/fibreboard retainers.

Owen is a guy that sells and makes spitfire/gt6 interiors ! http://www.parklaneclassics.co.uk/
If you want to contact him best way is to call him, getting a reply on a email from him takes sometimes very long (he's a busy guy!)  ;)

I'm in the middle of trimming my seats with e PLC foams and can say i am very inpressed with them. The bottom piece is sandwiched 3 layers and pre glued for you but you do need to glue a seperate piece on the top that is the side bolster and front thigh support but its simple to do.

I too have a 1972 car that has had newer recliner seats with a headrest put in and i am awaiting new back covers to finish the project

Here's the bottom foams and covers complete

is there an upholsterer or mattress or cushion maker near you? I went to a mattress maker and tried all their foams until I found one I liked (their firmest).

I could have taken a big piece to cut at home but asked them to do it and they obliged. Still have to glue them all together though.