Shonky indicators!

willcolumbine

I've become increasingly aware (due to the number of near misses I've had recently!) that my indicators are a bit rubbish. They all work but the time that the lights are on for is very short followed by a long time when the lights are off, followed by another little flash. I guess modern car owners are too busy or stupid to look at them for long enough to see what's going on and that's why they keep getting in the way!

I've never noticed they were this slow before but then I wasn't really looking for it. Is that normal or should I be looking to get a new flasher unit?

Original equipement flasher units are dependent on the current passing through them to control the flash rate - the higher the current, the faster the flash.  If there is any additional resistance in the circuit (a bad earth connection on a bulb, for instance) the current reduces and the flash rate slows down.  This is why the indicators tend to flash slower when you are sitting at traffic lights: the engine drops down to idle speed and the alternator output drops from around 14V to 12V so the current drops proprtionally and the flash rate slows down.  In the worst case, they stop flashing altogether and just stay on.

In your case the flash behaviour is that they stay off most of the time with a short flash.  This is more usually an indication that the flasher unit itself needs replacing.

cheers
bodders1

Also, although the bulbs are 21W - same as modern cars (excepting new LED types) the orange glasses and reflective bowls inside definitely age. A really good clean up of these makes a lot of difference the light output.

I agree as above that it sounds like a new flasher unit is the answer.

A tiny bit more expensive is to buy that foil tape used for repairing gutters (I think that's the use) - can get it in B&Q. It's only a couple of quid.

Am planning to do this at the weekend.

(can't take any credit for this - AJP told me about the foil - then a week later I read someone doing it with the foil tape)

The speed of my indicators used to vary with voltage, slowing right down when the brake lights were on.  I replaced the flasher unit with a modern electronic one and the flashing rate is now exactly right whatever the voltage.  It even has a very satisfying 'tick-tock' sound as it operates, amplified by being mounted on the back of the glove box (Triumph 2500).  

Unfortunately I can't remember the reference number of the electronic unit but it shouldn't be difficult to find the right one, and it is a very easy swap.

Cheers for the tips guys but it's not been long since I completely sorted all my lights. I used chrome paint and it made a world of difference. I'm just off to see if I can get a flasher unit locally.

Hopefully that'll sort my indicator problems so that I can get on and sort my recently aquired headlight problems. Let me tell you - entering a corner at 50mph on a narrow country lane at night is NOT the time you want to go from full beam to nothing!

Good news! It was the flasher unit and I managed to get a replacement from my local halfords. If anyone else wants to save themselves half an hour waiting for the the guy to come over to the desk, it's flasher unit number 202. Fitted it just now and it's working beautifully!

Now I've got the afternoon to fix those pesky headlights...

Archived