electric mirrors

byakk0

I'm kicking around the idea of retrofitting electric door mirrors on my GT6. Has anyone done this before? If so, what did you use? I'm wanting to stay close to the bullet mirror look, but open to ideas.
Searching through piles of internet and ebay photos I have come across a Chevy Matiz.

Any chance these mirrors would fit? Anyone around with a Matiz, or know of one? This is not a car we have in the US.
Feel free to toss out your thoughts and ideas.

They'll fit, but they'll look horrible. Even small cars these days are bigger than the Triumph "big saloons" and consequently their mirrors are just as big. Add in space for the electric motors and heaters and you've got something far larger than what should be on our cars. Good luck, but I think you run the risk of making it look like Prince Charles.

I have a matiz  :B
Do you want pictures of the mirrors,thing is only the passenger mirror is electric.
It would probably double the price of the car if they fitted two electric mirrors  ;D
On the plus side it does have air con so it must be dam small unit, I have the "big"1000cc engine so again it must be a tiny little pump,I do have to tell the wife to tell me if she is turning the air con on so I can get ready for the sudden loss of engine power.

power on only one side almost kills the deal, however, the passenger side would be the ideal location...however, passenger  side on a UK car is Drivers side on a US car... I wonder if I could gut the two and swap internals. I'm anticipating modification to whatever mirror I decide on anyway.

That said, if you have a 4 1/2" bullet mirror you could hold up next to the Matiz mirror as comparison that would be ideal. Or at least a number of measurements.

Even better, drop your Matiz in the mail and I will just do the comparing onsite!  ;D If it's that small, postage can't be too terrible, right?

The answer is simple
Don`t bother......Even on moderns .....once you have set the mirror to your driving position there is no reason why the position should be changed
Not as though any one drives down the road constantly moving the mirror around
To me its a waste of time and money...........even to fit to moderns...even the gimmick of having electric swivel parking mirrors .....Why?....Just to add cost to the car.
Just set the mirror leave them alone...........swivel parking?....Just get out the car pull the mirror in and walk away
Gimmicks cost money

Quote:
ust set the mirror leave them alone...........swivel parking?....Just get out the car pull the mirror in and walk away
Gimmicks cost money

You've got a point,,, but why? to see if I can. In the end it will probably remain stock.

Quote:
If you're in the US, there are some other typical mirror options other than the bullet mirror
Some say the late Spitfire square mirrors work better for them

I had square once, although the joints were loose and floppy and would go out of alignment as I drove, requiring me to make adjustments frequently, so I moved to bullets. I like the look better anyway. I was just curious about Matiz due to the stalk the mirrors are mounted on. Most US cars have side mounting mirrors.

On a more positive note than a lot of the posts Westfield owners fit MGF mirrors they dont look out of place on a Westfield so should not look out of place on a GT6. The only problem might be the source of the mirrors!!

Mick

If I do end up finding some that work, I will do what I can to modify them so they look more period correct...Fiberglass a bullet shaped cone, for example. Honestly, I don't want it to look like a frankencar by any means. I honestly agree with keeping it stock looking. If I can pull it off, great. If not, no biggie. Right now, I have nothing but query time invested in the project, and that mainly to give myself something to think about when I am not able put real time into working on it.