performance brakes

decx

Basically your options for upgraded brakes are thus.

Firstly you can stick with the standard calipers and fit braided lines, grooved + drilled discs and ebc or mintex pads. For the back use better pads, lines and maybe finned drums?

Or you could get GT6 calipers and upright and fit better discs, pads, lines to those. Or even fit vented disks using a kit from Canleys or John Wolfe. For the back go for GT6 spec wheel cylinders.

Or you could use the alloy princess calipers or go for something a bit racier and expensive like Hi Spec or Wilwood.

For the master cylinder just replace or rebuild the standard or go for Wilwood or AP Racing or similar. Maybe change the bore diameter if you want to change the feel of your set up?

Thats pretty much the picture in the brake upgrades department. IMHO the spitfires brakes are pretty decent to start with and theres no real need to go crazy - just make sure whats there works perfectly. That said I do have grooved and drilled discs, braided lines and EBC pads along with a Wilwood master cylinder. I will maybe only upgrade my brakes further once I've got all the other important jobs done!

EDIT: Try Canley Classics for some of the stuff - excellent service every time!

With the Spitfire being fairly light - there is a danger of over braking the car. My 1500 has GT6 caliphers, EBC Greenstuff pads, Goodrich Hoses and grooved discs... if anything they're too good - it being all too easy to lockup the front wheels.
My advice would be therefore to proceed one step at a time .. starting with hoses and pads until you find the feel and bite that you require.

On the GT6 I know the old bugger will stop fine but boy even with a servo ( is it still working ?) I have to stamp down hard. Good for the leg muscles!

[quote by=glaramaraman link=Blah.pl?b=spit,m=1174507419,s=7 date=1174560607]With the Spitfire being fairly light - there is a danger of over braking the car. My 1500 has GT6 caliphers, EBC Greenstuff pads, Goodrich Hoses and grooved discs... if anything they're too good - it being all too easy to lockup the front wheels.
My advice would be therefore to proceed one step at a time .. starting with hoses and pads until you find the feel and bite that you require.

On the GT6 I know the old bugger will stop fine but boy even with a servo ( is it still working ?) I have to stamp down hard. Good for the leg muscles![/quote]

Sounds like you're getting too much braking at the front. Maybe you need to get the GT6 size drums on the back to even it out?

• 1 month later...

[quote by=glaramaraman link=Blah.pl?b=spit,m=1174507419,s=7 date=1174560607]
On the GT6 I know the old bugger will stop fine but boy even with a servo ( is it still working ?) I have to stamp down hard. Good for the leg muscles![/quote]

Where did you get your brake servo from?

Oli

with engine off pump brake pedal you should feel it get harder to depress.
Hold pedal down, now start the engine, should feel pedal go light and move down more.

If it does this your servo is working fine. If not first thing to do is check that the vacume hose hasnt colapsed or become blocked. After that start suspecting servo is poorly.

Hmm, not sure you can use GT6 discs with the Spitfire uprights; suspect they're not compatible.
(The Mk IV ones ain't, anyhow). :(
Anyone want a set of GT6 discs while I'm on the subject? This is not an advert - this is an act of charity. Well, near-charity. :)

Edit! Oh correction, most humble apology. Of course the callipers aren't compatible by dint of the holes not lining up with the uprights unless you get the correct 'uns forgive me. The discs be fine, but no sense in nice big wider thicker discs unless the callipers fit, ho hum.

My car has Spitfire uprights & hubs with GT6 discs & Princess callipers.
I fitted them back when Princess callipers were two a penny, now they seem to cost a fortune!
Complete GT6 setup would probably be the way to go today. Don't forget the larger bore GT6 master cylinder.

yep wedge shape or the ambassodor going for around 100 quid or more if they are rebuilt, buy the time you have bought them and rebuilt the rubbers you may as well go for some new much lighter ones. unless you can get some cheap i wouldn'tbother, speaking from 1st hand experience as well

Archived