kristian

timbancroft61 wrote:
Qunvat,

Please do not use part worns, such a worrying proposition.

Many are old or have been involved in a crash etc-structure and integrity could be suspect.

its just an experiment to see if i get rubbing dont worry!

si

• 5 years later...

qunvat wrote:
i got 5.5 late mk111 (or so i thought) on my mk1 ...165 / 70 but am looking for new tyres.

prob 175 / 70 or 185 / 60 ...may try some part worns first if i can get some..

si

If anyone has 5.5J's can you get the correct offset?  I've seen posts with 22mm, 10mm, 16mm....   I am trying to recreate the Dunlop Racing wheel similar to D-type.

Thanks,
Dan

Kristian

There is a Revolution inspired thread on Page 6 of the Herald/Vitesse section, from which I have  copied my humble contribution.

"I fitted a set of the new Revos to my GT6 Mk2, supplied by Rimmers following a rebuild and to replace a set of Cobra Superslots that I fitted back in the 1980s. (Actually sold on the 5.5 Dunlop steels which would have been worth a bit these days....oh well!)

The Superslots had an ET of about +11 and whilst there was no clearance problem with the wishbone, with 175/70 tyres they ran pretty close to the bulkhead on lock and did project a bit from the front wheel arch which meant the wing and side of the car got quite dirty. In the madness of youth I experimented with a filler inspired arch extension, but that didn't last that long. At the rear the wheels nicely filled the arches but were a bit tight, depending on the sidewall profile of the various makes of tyre that I ran over the years.

The new Revos have at ET of +25 which is really too much but only just. Some have reported problems but not everyone. Canleys used to sell them and did not think there were any issues.
I did have a problem with the top wishbone just contacting the outer edge of the rim with reasonable lock, so fitted some 5mm universal wheel spacers as a fix, as I already invested in new tyres etc and had sold the Superslots. A subsequent experiment with fettling the wishbone, improved the clearance slightly, but not quite enough to allow the spacers to be removed with confidence.

On the plus side the wheel sits nicely within the arch and the car stays cleaner for it, which is an issue particularly with a white car.

On the negative side I think the wheel sits slightly too far in at the rear, making the arch look a bit empty. I will add some spacers to correct this in due course and have actually designed a hubcentric spacer which I intend to get machined up. I have Nicks CV conversion on the rear so M12 studs and have also made the change on the front, so no real worries about using thin spacers. 8mm is about the maximum with the standard m12 Freelander stud in my opinion.

In respect of the centre hole/PCD issue, I understand John's comments but at the moment I'm not overly concerned and certainly haven't heard of anyone breaking one, but no doubt someone will now it's been mentioned.

All in all I'm quite happy with the wheels and think they really suit the car and had always thought they would look good on a GT6. They are not hugely expensive and could always be changed at some point in the future."

Hopefully relevant as you have the same Mk of GT6.

Regards

Ian F ;)

Ian,

That is a nice car, gaps on doors and the sill shape is excellent.

I had a problem with the 3/8 unf sleeve nuts cracking on my Revs, so changed up to 7/16 unf nuts and studs. Revolution do sell the larger nuts.

Be prepared for the lacquer to the rims to start to split at some point, smear some grease over the rims in the winter? Also, I have found the nuts loose their shine very quickly, chroming is obviously poor.

Hi Tim

Panel gaps courtesy of Southern Triumph !

M12 studs all round now, with nuts purchased from Mr T's. Chroming on the nuts is not very good, but probably partly related to me taking the wheels off so frequently... us boys must play, but fortunately replacements are not particularly pricey.

Hopefully the car will be inside during the winter, but your comments on lacquering noted !

Regards

Ian F ;)

Space savers are typically speed limited due to the tyre (tyre rating) or the rim and tyre combo (size mismatch to others). I've never seen a rim itself being limited.  Drag racers use the skinny space saver rims for cheap front runners (with appropriate tyres!) and have no problems

uksnatcher wrote:
The MGF wheels i had were removed unused, straight out of 4 cars with new factory fitted 175/65/14 Goodyear GT65 tyres rated at 82T (118mph and 475kg) so good to go.

That would make for a cheap set of wheels and tyres.

Oops.... i stated the MGF wheels were 28cm offset......i meant 28mm.....would look rather odd with that offset... ;D

I paid £50 for the 4 a few years ago, rubbed them down and rattle canned them black gloss enamel for about a tenner.

Not my taste, but sold them on ebay for £120.

They are getting hard to get now and a set of standard out of the car MGF spare wheels i would expect to be around the £100 mark.

npanne wrote:
The 5.5J's came from Formula Ford.

That statement is arse about tit. Formula Ford regs at the time stated that production wheels had to be used. To that end FF manufacturers used Triumph rims. When they became scarce FF's changed to Fiat 132 rims also made by Dunlop. after that the production word was dropped from the regs and wheels were supplied by Weller but back to the Triumph PCD.