Camshaft bore in block

Nick Jones

Anyone have the correct dimension for the cam-bearing bore in the block for the 6 cylinder engine?  Alternatively the correct clearance between cam and journal......  I have the journal diameter figures and cams to measure, but none of my books shows the bore and the block I have clearly has problems.....  :(

Thanks

Nick

this in the PI ,or the Vit Nick.

Any time I bunged a cam in, there is very very little room .
IE it wont wobble up n doon, when they are being fed in,  so its gotta be a tight fit.!!

some body will have an engine out and can give though!!

M

It's another block that was intended for the Vitesse but now looks destined for scrap  :'(.  Suffice to say one needs to be careful when picking machine shops for line boring to fit cam bearings!

I've got at least 5 - 6 thou clearance  (think it should be more like 1 - 2 thou) and that's measured with feeler gauges so hardly ideal methodology and reality is probably worse.  In spite of this it is still very tight to turn when fully installed........  :(

Nick

From my notes as provided by Kai at WBC

Quote:

Cam bearing bore size is 1.969" +/- 0.0005".  Again, safe thing to do is
have the components in hand and work backwards to the ideal size.  Cam
journal diameter + bearing clearance + (2 * bearing shell thickness) =
ideal cam bearing bore size

Good luck,

C.

Nick_Jones wrote:
I've got at least 5 - 6 thou clearance  (think it should be more like 1 - 2 thou) and that's measured with feeler gauges so hardly ideal methodology and reality is probably worse.  In spite of this it is still very tight to turn when fully installed.....

It sounds like the machine shop didn't have a boring bar long enough to bore the cam gallery, so have tried to do it by boring the front journals from the front, and the rear journals from the rear. My machinist told me that he didn't have the equipment to bore the journals properly, and that trying to do it in two operations never worked. Because I'm not running stiff valve springs, I decided not to bother with bearings.

I'd say that your machinists owe you a new block, or at least should offer to bore, deck and align hone another one for free. If you trust them, that is.

Nick_Jones wrote:

It's bl**dy working too....  :(

It is now proven to be the case that this shop does not have the right gear or apparently the skills....

Nick

FWIW, back in the day when I had a Sprint and you could still buy them new, some people tried to recover the worn blocks where the jackshaft went. It was very hit and miss, even in a time of plentiful, well equipped and experienced engine shops. 99% of them shops and the knowledge has gone. I bought a new block.

If the hole has any ovality, its very hard unless you are extremely skilled, to persuade the tool to bore true to the axis, it will always try to recentre itself in the off true centre worn bore. Just to compound the buggerance factor, the bore will still be sensibly true at the clutch end and non progressively wear to oval at the timing gear end.
I would respect any fitter who can pull that trick off reliably now, considering how little meat he has to work with.

Hi Nick,
my original Manual says:

Bore in Block:  46,82 - 46,858 mm
Cam Journal: 46,741 - 46,745 mm
Clearance: 0,066 - 0,117 mm

For the inserting Spitfire MK3 bearings we bored exactly 50,00 mm.

Sad to hear the story from the block / line boring.

Cheers
Martin

Thanks for the numbers Craig & Martin  :)  Works out at approx 0.0026 - 0.0046".  I'm comfortably over the top end of that.

Thanks to all for moral support!  The perpetrator is maintaining a tactical silence at this point - which will not be allowed to continue beyond tomorrow.

Cheers

Nick