Jonny-Jimbo

Hi all,

How easy / difficult is it to get the crank out of a Mk1 2.5? I have the gearbox out to try and trace a fault in the gear change / clutch assembly. I was led to believe it could have been the tapered pin, but that is actually fine, and looks brand new.

The gear change itself felt fine, so I decided to investigate the clutch, and taking that off showed no problems with the friction plate or the cover, in fact both looked pretty new.

But then, to my horror, I saw this...

Yes, TWO of the flywheel bolts were totally loose!! Only thing that stopped them falling out entirely was the clutch plate!! I think that is my problem! In my head, the clutch wouldn't fully disengage as these two bolts were butted right up to it, so the pressure plate couldn't slide enough, and would also explain the 'notch' on the pedal. The easy bit was the free movement, and then once the pressure plate was jammed on the bolts, the harder movement was all hydraulic movement of the seals pushing etc.

However, after taking the flywheel off, I found this;

So the back of the crank is covered in rust and 'extra' material - not sure if this has come from the flywheel vibrating on it as the back of the flywheel has similar damage too.

So, how hard is it to drop the crank out of a 2.5 without having to pull the whole engine out? I'm getting very concerned about having this job done in time before RBRR now. I'm now on ebay every day looking for cars I can buy that are running and MOT'd and just 'doing it' and if we break down, then so be it... I am NOT missing RBRR '16!!!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with Josh - take a die grinder to the rough bits (or a Dremel if you don't have a compact air-powered die grinder) on both faces then re-fit. Odds are it will go on fine, straight, and give you no trouble. Worst case it'll be slightly wonky, leading to clutch judder, which you can live with until after RBRR. You should be able to assess the run-out before reinstalling the clutch and maybe shim up the side that's been hacked if necessary.

I don't think dropping the crank with the engine in situ is practical (I have replaced all the bearings with the crank in situ but that's a totally different matter).

Hi Jon.  Hope you get yours sorted in time, but failing that there is a nice looking Dolly in Rugby.  It's an 1850 auto, looks pretty straight on the interweb pics and has a long MOT (June 2017) He's asking £1800, which sounds ok to me, although I'm no expert on Dolomite values!  No connection to the seller - just saw your concerns and thought I'd have a look.

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C782705

The raised lumps are on the crank - the flywheel side is indented, so that won't clean up as such. I might fill it with chemical metal though just to get a flat surface.

The raised lumps on the crank are around 3mm thick - they won't scrape off with a scraper etc, so they are definitely metal and it's not just 'crud'. A grinder may well do the job, if I can find them I do have some grinding bits. I did wonder about grinding it, but thought I would judge opinion first. I just can't tell how the mating surface has got so crap. I'll have a go at cleaning it tomorrow night.

Thanks for the link Richard, I did actually find that earlier and I have arranged to view it this evening. Might be better for RBRR anyway! Better on fuel, possibly more refined and has a CD player in it already! if it's good enough I might buy it as a 'just in case' car!

J-J,

If the lumps are solid then they have always been there.  That face should be machined smooth, flat and true, from the factory.  I wonder if you have a 'Monday morning' crank that got through QC (at Triumph?  What QC?), because that surface looks like original casting surface.   Compare with casting surfaces elsewhere, block, gearbox etc.

And the Lumps correspond to depressions on the flywheel centre? Probably from it fluttering on the two remaining tight bolts. Rather than trying to to handface it in situ I'd bolt it back up, enzuring the lumps and depressions registered,  loktited, torqued etc.   Then check the run out on the flywheel rim.    If its good - can't remember a figure - then leave it be.

The only other way is crank out, not easy in situ and take it and FW to a machine shop.

John

Quoted from Jonny-Jimbo
Thanks for the link Richard, I did actually find that earlier and I have arranged to view it this evening. Might be better for RBRR anyway! Better on fuel, possibly more refined

I never did try the RBRR in my 1850 but I was commuting daily from Banbury to Warwick when I replaced it with a 2500S, and I can tell you that the S was very definitely the more refined AND marginally the more economical of the two!

Hi Dave,

Yup, that would be great if you could bring me a mag base and clock.

Thing is that other bits of the crank face have machined and have the lapped marks on there.

Glang, it can only go back in one location - that's what the dowel does!

Well, I've arranged to go and look at the Dolomite anyway this evening, no harm in looking I guess.

JJ I know you have resolved the need but from my experience you will have to remove the engine to get the crank out.  When we were checking the old crank in my Mk1 PI estate because of oil pressure problems we were having a look to see if we could remove the crank with the engine in situ and decided we could not.  Mind you when we did strip it we found the crank was fooked  

Looking at the crank flywheel boss end - is that thrust peg OK?  Looks to have a ridge on it.  I know I am telling you the obvious but of course the crank is long back and in case there are any issues with it I have a fully refurbished balanced, tuftrided 60 thou crank here that I am selling with a set of VP spec shells as I located a standard spec spare which I will now be using.

As for clutch problems.  We had a very heavy short travel clutch in Woodie which was a bu**ar to use so Andrew (Newman our now third driver) popped it out in his workshop today to have a look. What he found I will be posting with pics later but just lets say that the only part of the clutch that was OK were the hydraulics!

MUT

Quoted from Jonny-Jimbo
Hi Dave,

Yup, that would be great if you could bring me a mag base and clock.

Thing is that other bits of the crank face have machined and have the lapped marks on there.

Glang, it can only go back in one location - that's what the dowel does!

Well, I've arranged to go and look at the Dolomite anyway this evening, no harm in looking I guess.

Ooops well that would make it easier! But it sounds like youre going to be getting the engine out and doing the whole rebuild anyway......

I would NOT bodge the back of the crank - it needs to be properly ground flat on a machine.

I think it is possible to drop the crank out without removing the whole engine but a bit of a ball-ache.

You'll need to remove the front pulley, chain case, chain and probably the sprocket. You'll need to remove the bridge piece to access the front main and the backplate.  You may also need to remove the front plate or you may find you can sneak the crank out at an angle once the main caps are off.  Crank is heavy-ish - nearly 30kg.  Is it really a long-back - looks like a short in the pic though could be the angle of the shot......

Unusual (and irritating) fault!

Nick

Here's the deal then - I never had any problem with the clutch before - and it never juddered etc. So, I think the only thing causing the issues was the bolts coming loose.

So, plan of campaign now is to clean the back of the crank a bit, get the flywheel back on and bolted up and check the run out using Dave's clock and mag base. If the run out is acceptable I will leave it as is, BUT I will lockwire the flywheel bolts to give a positive locking on them so they can't come undone again.

I know the crank needs machining really to make it correct, but I don't have the time for that (The car currently has no rear suspension, brakes, seats, etc etc etc). I will do the crank machining when I have the engine apart next, which may not be that long away...

That sounds a sensible plan. I should say that my initial recommendation was a "get it going for now" with the idea that you'll be able to sort it out properly after the RBRR. Like you say, if it was working OK until the bolts came loose then, for now, don't fix what wasn't broken.
(I was also going to edit that first post to add "and use some loctite or similar" but wirelocking is probably more robust).

Stuck the flywheel back on last night after a little cleaning up of the surfaces, the crank and the flywheel seemed to mate well. I didn't lockwire or locktite the bolts though as I have a new set on order from Chris Witor. Also, Dave has lent me a DTI on a mag base so I can check the run out.

3 thou at 5" radius is what the manual says... which is fine except that 5" radius will go over the mounting holes for the clutch... Good old Triumph! 😀

I'm fairly sure the flywheel is flat... It's look horrible on an RA test, but that's a bit beyond the scope of a 50 year old lump of cast iron haha.

I'll do the run out test and if it's close enough I'll stick it back together, if it's slightly out I could shim it (Davidb5964 has shim steel etc), if it's horrific I'll weigh up my options...

Quoted from Jonny-Jimbo
Stuck the flywheel back on last night after a little cleaning up of the surfaces, the crank and the flywheel seemed to mate well. I didn't lockwire or locktite the bolts though as I have a new set on order from Chris Witor. Also, Dave has lent me a DTI on a mag base so I can check the run out.

3 thou at 5" radius is what the manual says... which is fine except that 5" radius will go over the mounting holes for the clutch... Good old Triumph! 😀

Was the cleaning up difficult and thats why you only did a little?
Im going to stick my neck out here and say that I'd be surprised if this problem gives you any more hassle, ever! However I dont know how you could lockwire the bolts and anyway think this is too much of a departure from the original design (which seems sufficient in 99% of cases) but would torque em to the correct setting and use loctite....

If I may, JJ, lockwiring is easy, lockwiring properly is a great skill.
The twists, the orientation, the tightness, which bolts you do,  must be just right to be effective.
I know, because I've tried, and it usually looks bodged!

Several videos online, esp one about propeller bolts.
John

You are quite right John, it is an art to get it looking super neat. The hardest bit I find is finding a small drill bit that is good enough to drill the bolt heads. I did some practice ones last night and found out the pillar of my pillar drill is bent... Machine Mart sh1t! I put a straight edge on the tube and it's bowed.

Anyway, I'm playing this one by ear. If the gearbox has to come out again after RBRR, I can live with that. What I can't live with, is missing RBRR!!