Oh dear - Engine rattle getting worse.

Antonnick

Getting it all back together again. Oil is in and have followed the good trick of using a drill to operate the oil pump in order to prime it and get some flow around the pieces. It is a battery drill and can hardly cope when the pressure builds up.

Spent a lot of time trying to set up the clearances for the distributor pedestal again. The washer I inserted is 1,34 mm thick and after temp bolting the Pedestal in place, the feeler gauges measured 2, something mm. Obviously wrong. Took the pedestal off, removed the washer and then bolted it down again without the drive in place to see if there was any clearance at all with across the flange. There was none, so that is ok.

REfitted the washer, drive gear and pedestal but probably the drive did not sit properly for the feeler guages read over 2mm again. 

All off , turned the engine over by hand again , this time pressing down on the drive gear which then did suddenly drop . Supi! My feeler gauges then measured 1,25 mm clearance. I tried with 1,3 and it did go in part way but with force,

Anyway that gives me a tolerance of 0,09 mm so one of the the thin gaskets in the set will do. This matched what I took off anyway. 

Will add the anti freeze tomorrow and then try to start the thing. I will need to prime the fuel pump I think first. LAst time it did not want to pump as first.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im not sure this is crank related , so it rumbles when torque is asked for   ???  have you really carefully eliminated exhaust contact under load or even failed clutch disc damper springs 

or any other out the box idea , if you keep rebuilding the engine but the problem returns 

you could be chasing the wrong culprit 

Pete

Carefully eliminated ? You may be so right. The Crank needed doing anyway, so too the cylinder head. It is all back together now except I have to fit the clutch slave cylinder. It seems to be jammed in the full down position so will need to sort that first.

The exhaust contact I have long ago found out that it is not that. 

An oil pressure reading would be useful now. If you havent got a permanent gauge installed like me you can buy a small one with the correct thread and temporarily screw it directly in place of the oil pressure switch. I do this from time to time and of course now your reading should be the best ever👍

I do not know yet. the engine has only been running a few minutes, enough to drive the car from the workshop ( the barn!) to my Garage, a distance of 100m only. The oil pressure goes up to 80psi on revving a bit , which it did before after a new oil pump was fitted, the real test of course will be when the motor gets hot. 

have just returned from a 40km trip.

Very pleased to report that not only the knocking for a few seconds during a cold start is gone but the annoying rumble on accelerating at 70kmh + is also gone. So it was the the crankshaft at fault. 

the oil prssure is phenominal. It hovers at 90 psi for a long time and even at low revs it is about 60 psi. I forgot to look during tickover. 

so I suppose this thread is now finished. Many  many thanks for all the hints and tips and help. 

gruß und bleib Gesund

Antonia

• 2 weeks later...