Oh dear - Engine rattle getting worse.

Antonnick

I had the same problem with the sealing block front bolt thread and rather than take off the sump again I drilled and tapped it to suit an M10 allen cap head bolt. Its a bit fiddly as the front crank pulley had to come off but quite effective....

With the coolant loss its also possible to come from a hose connection or even a core plug as under pressure it can leak as vapour and so be difficult to detect. Its worth checking hose tightness and inspecting all core plugs (unfortunately not all of these are accessible).

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it is a high Speed pinking then presumably, this can be corrected by a pre-programmed  Distributor?

I have tried retarding the Basic ingnition which has only marginal effect but the idle is very uneven as a result. Alternativly I can advance the ignition at idle and the engine ticks over much faster and evenly. But when I do the "pinking" is no better, perhaps worse

The most likely causes of pinking are:

weak mixture, low octane fuel and incorrect ignition timing (including faulty operation of the distributor advance/retard system).

It will be worse in an engine that runs hot but in my case reducing the amount of air leaking in around the carburettor spindles made the biggest improvement....

If only I could be sure that this is actually the case. Certainly the mixture set at the carb using colortune was correct but I made it a bit richer anyway. I use 98 octane fuel. Is the Distributor faulty? I do not have the Impression that power is lacking in any way.

I am inclined to think there is a mechanical Problem somewhere - a worn or weak tappet spring for example. Perhaps listening with a stethoscope might Isolate the root cause....

Its fairly easy to test the two functions of the distributor: 

The advance mechanism (operated by weights inside that fly out under centrifugal force) is working if, when using a strobe to set the timing, you can see the pulley mark move to more degrees before top dead centre as you rev the engine.

Retard (not all engines use this but I assume yours does) is tested by sucking on its vacuum pipe then with the distributor cap off you should see its top plate with points or electronic ignition sensor rotate easily.

Of course this doesnt prove that the amount of change in each case is correct (the manual specifies the correct degrees of movement) but if they work its unlikely the distributor is the cause of the problem....

Yes I have done this test of the vacuum function and the top plate with Points does move .....but not very much. I am not sure if it easily moves as it Needs a lot of lung power.

I then tried to move the finger ( I have one of the new better red ones) to check the function of the weights and it hardly moves at all. It seems that this is correct and expected.

yes thinking about it both of these mechanisms advance the timing so if they dont work (weights stuck, vacuum pipe disconnected etc) the engine will not run as well as it should but it wont produce pinking.

One test I do for testing that pinking isnt due to weak mixture is to pull the choke out slightly while the engine is making the noise. If theres an improvement its an indication of where to investigate further....

Yes you have mentioned that before and I did try it last year, no difference to the Sound.

I have been told off for calling it pinking, which only occurs at low engine revs when trying to accelerate - the same Sound as a diesel engine if you are in too low a gear. I cannot get my Herald to pink like that.

Oh I forgót to mention that I found the bottom hose weeping at the Joint which I have now tightened up. This has solved the water loss.

I am away for some days now but when I get back I will try to listen to the rattle with the bonnet open. It seems to be there but not so loud at a fast idle so perhaps I can, with some help, hear if it is coming from the bottom or the top or the front or the back of the engine.......plenty of choices!

• 2 weeks later...

The use of the stethoscope did not give any clues. Perhaps this is to be expected as the rattle/clang onlx occurs under load at 2.500 to 3000 revs approx.

I have though ordered some gaskets for the distrubutor pedestal which have not arrived yet. But I have removed the Distributor in order to measure the gear float. This seemed like an easy Thing to do...but it is not.

The Manual says to remove the drive gear, put in a washer temporarily over the geardrive shaft and then put the drive gear back in. Thence the Distributor is placed back on to the pedestal. The gap between the pedestal flange and the Distributor flange measured. I found you Need to replace the nuts and schrew them dowm finger tight in order to stop the flange rocking.

The Manual has incorrectly stated the Maximum tolerance in mm as 1,78. It should be 0,178 mm in converting the imperial measurement of 0,007 in.

Now  the washer I used measures 1,49 mm thickness and after a lot of playing about using feeler gauges, I measured the gap as 1,35, perhaps 1,40mm if you try and push the feelers in with pressure. It is a bit awkward to measure as there is not much room and I get the Feeling that the gap varies depending on where you measure.

Oh I forgot, any gasket that was there before had broken up. It was very thin.

OK , so if the end float difference as measured is now 0,09mm, then I Need a gasket of 0,03 for the correct mean tolerance to bring it to 0,12mm .

If , on the other Hand the 1,35 is valid, then I do not Need any gasket, which is in effect what I have now.

But then I thought, what happens when the temporary washer is removed? The measured tolerance is then fudge, so perhaps the washer is permanent?

Confused 😟

How tight are those nuts? Does the 1mm apply to both sides?

To be honest, the flange isn't important for the clearance, just for avoiding leaks. However, if your nuts are tightened enough to be distorting the flange (by 0.4mm is not impossible) then you want to use to centre reading, but if they're loose you want the edge reading.

Incidentally, is that a "spawn of the devil" external rocker oil feed in the picture?