Jordon T

Quoted from thescrapman
HEBW if it started life attached to an autobox

Every day's a schoolday, I never knew that one. Never owned an automatic!

There's also the FRE suffix, usually used on engines supplied as Factory Reconditioned (Rebuilt?) Engines and stamped on a brass plate.

Cheers,
Bill

Quoted from thescrapman
...HEBW if it started life attached to an autobox....
Interesting! I've very, very little experience with such beasts and didn't know that Triumph did this on the engine numbers as well as commission numbers! The BW refers, of course, to Borg-Warner, supplier of those wonderful automatic gearboxes.

Wow Very interesting!

So just to clarify, The 'E' on the end of my engine stands for Exchange or Engine?

My engine number is: HC9060E   Thats all, i thought it stood for economy so a low compression engine. I thought this because i have a really old haynes manual, and it has the specifications for the Vitesse a GT6 Economy and standard engines.

Is any light at the end of the tunnel?

Quoted from Richard B
I thought HE on the end meant High Compression. So yes E would be for the low compression (overseas) vervions.

E means Engine, nothing else.

Most Triumphs have HE or LE, High Compression Engine and Low Compression Engine respectively.

Don't assume that a simple E means low comression, there's no evidence for that to be the case. For the record, Y128 (Herald Coupe) has engine number Y201E. There's nothing to distinguish it as different from any other home market engine.

Why just an E suffix? I don't know, but I do know what it isn't.

To stick a finger in the air and make a guess, it's possible the engines were numbered before heads and other compression specific components were added, ie before they were defined as High or Low compression.
That would make sense with Y201E, an engine built very early in the production run, when initial production stocks were being built up.
But that's nothing more than a bit of theorising on my part, don't take it as fact.

Cheers,
Bill.

Most cars seemed to be High Compression Engines.
Low compression engines were fitted as standard to countries with Low-Octane fuel, as a non exhaustive list so far I have established they were:
Greece
Uganda
malta
Cyprus
mauritius
Ceylon (Sri Lanka) - quite a popular export post possibly for a halfway house for cars destined for other areas.
Trinidad
Libya
Kenya
Pakistan
Gold Coast
Nigeria
Jamaica - seem to like convertibles
South Africa
Thailand

As far as I am aware the difference was a compression plate, longer pushrods, different gaskets and different spark plugs.

Quoted from heraldcoupe
Don't assume that a simple E means low comression, there's no evidence for that to be the case. For the record, Y128 (Herald Coupe) has engine number Y201E. There's nothing to distinguish it as different from any other home market engine.
Right! Witness the fact that the "big TR" wetliner engines had simply the "E" suffix, but most of those engines as fitted into the sports models would've been considered "high compression" engines.

Quoted from alpinemauve
]

As far as I am aware the difference was a compression plate, longer pushrods, different gaskets and different spark plugs.

are there anymore signs or differences betwween a HC and LC engine which tell me whether my engine is HC or LC?

• 2 weeks later...

The 1200 engine in my Herald started life in a (?1961) Standard 10 van.  The 1200 engine was apparently fitted to the 10 before the Courier replaced the model.  This is (was) an LE engine (Prefix BE).  The head was much deeper - no compression plate, and yes, 'standard' pushrods were needed when the CR was paised.
C.

• 10 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 7 years later...