2500 Fast Road Engine - Where to Start?

Bradley1500

339 wrote:
Laurence
i haven't ever driven a GT6 with a triumph gearbox so I was guessing, to a degree, at the mph per 1000rpm.  I stand corrected on the ratio :B :B

In a Triumph box 4th is 1 to 1. with O/D adding an extra gear.

Presumably in a Type 9 4th is also 1 - 1 with 5th being comparable to O/D?

One for James Carruthers to add to his spreadsheet?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Richard_B wrote:

Yep, 4th in T9 is 1:1 and 5th is 0.82:1

This compares with OD which is 0.8:1 (actually D type 0.802 and J-type 0.797) or 5th on a Toyota W58 at 0.78:1.  And yes, I know there is another variant of the J-type which is taller but I can't find the number just now......

Nick

Richard_B wrote:

It's only for Triumphs :)

bobyspit wrote:
My 3.63 with Type 9 gearbox was returning 70 mph at 3250-3300 rpm so Tim may of had a 3.89?

Well I ordered and was charged for a 3.63 but that was from Jigsaw so it could be anything!!!

I'm confused.

So, Tim you're running a 3.63 diff not the 3.27?

This means the ratios will be fine with the 3.63 and the type 9.

It's the 3.89 that doesn't work well with a type 9? and the 3.27 that blows up eventually with a type 9 and a bit of power?

Bradley.

4992 wrote:
I'm confused.

So, Tim you're running a 3.63 diff not the 3.27?

This means the ratios will be fine with the 3.63 and the type 9.

It's the 3.89 that doesn't work well with a type 9? and the 3.27 that blows up eventually with a type 9 and a bit of power?

Bradley.

No Bradley I was running a 3.63 but now i run a 3.27.  This is why i said not to use a 3.63 with the type 9.  The 3.27 is holding on just fine after doing the Ten countries run last year and a RBRR in a spitfire the year before that and whatever AndyGT6 did with it in his 2.5l GT6 before that!!  I will still have it looked at by Mike Papworth before I do the RBRR.

Nick_Jones wrote:
This compares with OD which is 0.8:1 (actually D type 0.802 and J-type 0.797) or 5th on a Toyota W58 at 0.78:1.  And yes, I know there is another variant of the J-type which is taller but I can't find the number just now......

D type is 22%

J Type 25% or 28%

Not sure what the A'Type was as used on the Slaoons and TR's

Hang on a moment.
I initially ran a 3.27 in my 2.5  vitesse, but after I broke the third one i fitted a 3.63, which lasted with no issues. In fact that diff went into my Zetec spitfire, and is bolted into the chassis of the current project.
The 3.27is a bit more relaxed, but not good for longevity if you have a heavy right foot 8)

I should have kept my diff and given it a go in the Zetec powered Spit, but I did not know last year that I was doing the conversion, so I sold the diff. It went to a bloody good home  :)
After doing a bit of homework I will be sticking with the 3.63 and if that gives up,Ill have to look at a seirra diff (lsd) but hey I got to finish the car yet. :P

cliftyhanger wrote:
Hang on a moment.
I initially ran a 3.27 in my 2.5  vitesse, but after I broke the third one i fitted a 3.63, which lasted with no issues. In fact that diff went into my Zetec spitfire, and is bolted into the chassis of the current project.
The 3.27is a bit more relaxed, but not good for longevity if you have a heavy right foot 8)

Only time will tell but I bet it's done 10,000 miles and is still going strong. ;)

bobyspit wrote:
I should have kept my diff and given it a go in the Zetec powered Spit, but I did not know last year that I was doing the conversion, so I sold the diff. It went to a bloody good home  :)
After doing a bit of homework I will be sticking with the 3.63 and if that gives up,Ill have to look at a seirra diff (lsd) but hey I got to finish the car yet. :P

Happy to have given it a new home. 8)  You can have it back once I've broken it :) :)

OK  I have made a mistake with speed-rpm ratios on my set up.

With a V6 ford Type 9 and a 3.27:1 diff on 185/60-13's

60mph=2500rpm
70mph=3000rpm
80mph=3500rpm
90mph=4000rpm
100mph=4500rpm
110mph=5000rpm
120mph=5500rpm
130mph=6000rpm (theoretical)

All checked using a sat-nav and a 38 year old smiths tacho!!  Checked on a private road ;) 8)

Archived