spitfire door Escutcheon fitting

Saltddirk

To have the car ready for the 10CR we took a few shortcuts, one of which was to mount the window wipers and door handles temporary fastening them with a b-clip.

I have now ordered the correct Escutcheon and springs. Which raises a question, where and how does the spring fits?

From the part drawing I believe that the small end is against the handle with the widest part against the door, but the question is do they fit below or on top of the door cards? The spring seems to be too wide to be covered by the Escutcheon when installed.... :(

Cheerz

Dirk

Sorry for the double posting under the members section, not yet used to navigate the new forum....

Hi Dirk - they fit below the door card, with the widest part against the steel of the door. The recess in the escutcheon accommodates the handle boss and the securing pin which goes through the holes in the boss and the hole in the shaft.

This arrangement allows future handle removal by pushing the escutcheon, against the spring pressure, back towards the door so that the securing pin can fall out and get lost in the gravel on your driveway. Best to employ a small child to hold a bowl underneath to catch the pin, in the style of Oliver Twist.

Quoted from cliftyhanger-

I have always put the small end against the door,and the large end against the doorcard.

I think the small end will push through the doorcard?

That is correct Clive wink small end against the door and large facing the door card, plus makes it easier putting the pin the handle.

Well, this confuses things....  A picture (courtesy of Canley's website) shows the spring inboard of the door panel. Or maybe it's just shown that way for clarity. Anyway, it is shown with the larger diameter to the outside.

So I was wrong. Sorry. Next time I have the panels off I'll turn them round and see what difference it makes.

Hi 

Thanks all,

44 is a soft rubber style washer, I guess to keep the draught out.

I have fitted one door, with the big end to the door, not without difficulties I must say, in the end I used an old spring with the new one I just could not push it back far enough to slip the pin in. I'll do the other door tomorrow and turn the springs around, see what difference it makes...

Cheers and thanks for the replies

D

Hi 

Thanks all,

I have fitted one door, with the big end to the door, not without difficulties I must say, in the end I used an old spring with the new one I just could not push it back far enough to slip the pin in. I'll do the other door tomorrow and turn the springs around, see what difference it makes...

D

Hi 

Thanks all,

Clieve you are right, it was because of that drawing that I posted the question to start off with. But thinking it a bit through they can only fit between the doorcard and door.

D

• 3 months later...

my mkIV parts list is clear wide to the card  small end to the door as was the case with this design on so many marques in the heyday  it not triumph this was used by so many other makes .

the spring applies  pressure to the  door card , keeping escutcheon in place to retain the pin

so a simple push on the card lets the pin fall in the grass !!!!

and if you dont have a spring them a 1" thick foam doughnut will work just as well

pete