efp

Managed to snap the long steel (?) fuel pipe running along the chassis when reinstalling on my mk2.

Should I replace with the 81 quid Rimmers replacement copper kit or go for flexible hose all the way?  30R9 spec looks the way to go, (thanks Cliftyhanger) given the increasing ethanol content of modern fuel but Im leaning to keeping things as original-looking as possible.  And if I go hose, can anyone recommend a supplier? Most suppliers seem very vague about their ratings.

Why just get a copper/Kunifer pipe (like brake lines) at a local car shop ?

That would work to i think, and a lot cheaper then the pipe of Rimmer (that is just the same material).

Seems James Paddock is selling a kit for 25 pounds..
Also canley classics makes a kit for the GT6 MK2, 25 pounds (build to order and for the complete car).

all is the same Kunifer material.

Thanks all for your input.

Paul, had discounted using steel again as I believe its a bugger to bend?  But open to persuasion.  Grant the original has lasted the best part of 50 years down there.

Dinger and Nick, I didn't know full length flexi was an MOT no-no: rules that out, thanks

Wimpus, think the pipe needs to be 1/4 inch/6mm ish.  Think most brake pipe is rather smaller bore?  But may come bigger, I dunno.

Yes, the Rimmer kit is expensive,  but it comes as an end to end set, including flared sections, unions, clamps and flexible sections, and moreover is the same set as the TSSC store sells, albeit 10 quid cheaper were I a member, so Im thinking its good quality.

Hadn't spotted the Paddock kit, I'll look into that.

Nick, microbore 8mm is another option. Would I struggle get the 1/4" bore flexible sections to go over the ends?

cheers

Thanks Wim.

I stand to be corrected, but I got the impression elsewhere that the pipe on the 1/2/3 was 1/4" and was changed to 5/16" on the Mk4 and 1500.

Cant see it would do any harm to go 5/16" (8mm -ish) on my Mk2, but just thinking of the connections to flexible sections.

JohnD, that alloy stuff looks good, but the unions are a bit pricey, and again, only in 8mm

That Paddock kit looks comprehensive and good value though, I'm leaning that way now..

Cheers all

Yeah Marky, apparently its the added ethanol in modern fuels that rots the flexi hose unless its internally coated to qualify for the 30R9 or 10 rating I mentioned in my  first post (and again thanks to Clifty for his research on that).

Trouble is, many suppliers of hose online don't or won't specify the rating on their hose, R6 or 7 won't last.

I now know much more about fuel piping than is probably healthy, bless you all.  Really need to get out more..