MerlinsTriumph

Rust, anywhere from the ground and upwards.
I am not an expert on the 2000/2500 by any means but buy the car with the best body you can find, the mechanicals are fairly easy to put right and pretty reasonable on cost but a poor body will cost much to put right.

Wings are a bit pricey if you can find them, although there is a plan by the club to get some more made see the thread "panels update", also check under the rear seat where the subframe attaches I believe this is a common problem area, and of course the usual places on any car, sills, A and B posts.

There will be some better informed club members along soon to elaborate upon what I have outlined.  

Also welcome to the forum. I see that you  already have a Spitfire and now considering another Triumph, you are now showing classic signs of Triumph addiction. When I got back into Triumph ownership after a long break without one, I bought an MOT'd scruffy GT6, I now have 2 GT6's a MK1 2000, 2 Spitfire rolling chassis, spare engines,gearboxes and a couple of sheds full of spares. I have just had to rent a barn/workshop (1125 sq/ft ground floor area with a mezzanine floor space above of 375 sq/ft) to put it all in and I still think I am going to be short on space.
Obviously I do not have a wife/girlfriend to spend my money on and finding one who would put up with the addiction is quite rare. To the guys who have wives/girlfriends who understand their addiction treat them well and cherish them, they are a very rare breed.

3762 wrote:
Obviously I do not have a wife/girlfriend to spend my money on and finding one who would put up with the addiction is quite rare. To the guys who have wives/girlfriends who understand their addiction treat them well and cherish them, they are a very rare breed.

Thanks.  My wife says, "I know I am a very rare breed :) "     Certainly being cherished....

4247 wrote:
If I were you Martin, I'd get yourself to the Triumph Spares Day at Stoneleigh on 1st March and visit the folk at the Triumph 2000 Register stand. They'll happily give you advice, plus there'll be cars to point out exactly what to look for  ;)

Cheers, I will be there tickets already purchased.  ;)

Definitely, love the Triumphs have done for years. Just not as active with them as I should be. Something I'm trying to change.

Fortunately my wife is happy with the classics having grown up with her Dad restoring 2 MGs.
We had a little write up in Practical Classics when we were married as Caroline arrived in the Midget and left in the Spitfire.

Anyway, thanks again guys and have fun at Stonleigh!

4247 wrote:
If I were you Martin, I'd get yourself to the Triumph Spares Day at Stoneleigh on 1st March and visit the folk at the Triumph 2000 Register stand. They'll happily give you advice, plus there'll be cars to point out exactly what to look for  ;)

Or the CT stand - there are big saloon experts here as well, and this is a CT Forum!
MUT

That's a relief!

I would go for a car fitted with an overdrive, makes cruising easier and helps with fuel consumption of course.  You can upgrade after buying, especially if a nice car bodily and price is right, but if you can I would go for one already fitted.

Estates are around but are rarer so take a little patience finding ........ and tend to be a little more expensive for a similar condition and specification saloon.  Really depends upon how keen you are to start the 'big car' experience and how important an estate is in your plans.

MUT

in my past experiance,i should of gone for the mk2,parts are alot easier to find and they hold value more and more people wont mk2`s then mk1`s,but that my penny worth
estate`s are rare and handy,mainly for crap run to tip :P,buy a good bodied one,dont matter about engine,engine part are always available

but do your research first before buying,get as much info you can and see a few other cars before deciding

Must disagree with you Nick on the Mk1/Mk2 debate.  While you would have been correct up to a year or so ago Mk1s are now becoming more sought after.  I have a foot in both camps, Mk1 saloon and estate and Mk2 estate.

However very much agree about the usefulness of an estate.  My Mk2 estate is my daily driver/hack and is used for anything that you would use a modern estate for - tip runs, metal to be weighed in, building and gardening stuff, towing caravan, and of course five border collies!  Oh and of course the Round Britain Road Run last year!(dance)

MUT

Few comment about power steering,
only had our mk2 2000 since june but  after  a  snappy Vitesse6 the car was some what less exciting  in the steering  much handwheel twiddling and  effort,
having just converted her to  power  the car has changed from a lumbering tub to a spritely smile
its worth considering if  available, it makes a world or difference
pete

My first 2500, about 20 years age had very stiff steering. Shortly afterwards I replaced the front struts and found the cause. the top bearing on one side had seized and actually torn the rubber mount away from the housing . replaced all this and the steering was then acceptable to me.
Tony.

• 2 weeks later...

699 wrote:
Saw that one last night.  Says S spec.  Something tells me it was originally a TC.
Nice looking car with overdrive and power steering - all desireable.

Hi, I've been looking at the 2500S too - what makes you think it might be a TC in disguise?

Which brings me to another question - what's the difference? Stommies v SUs I think but that's the limit of my knowledge.

Just a hunch really, but the things that jump out at me are the C pillars without the vinyl covering and the description of it being a 1974 car.
Now, I'm not claiming to be an expert, but I was under the impression that the 2500S model was from 1975 and onwards. The vinyl can be taken off, but to copy an S spec I'd expect vinyl covers to go with all the rest.  Oh, and that the word 'spec' is included in the advert.  It is either a an S or not.  If not, it is S spec....
Differences?  The S cars had PAS as standard fitment, as the advertised car has.  Reckon that only a few TC spec cars had PAS, so it could be either.  
An early TC had lower power than the later TC, which eventually was fitted with the same engine as the S.  All TC and S cars had SUs.
The TC didn't have a tacho either, not even the later facelift cars, though the dash panels incl dials are pretty much plug and play interchangeable.
Very difficult to see in the photos in the advert, but it looks like there is no anti-roll bar present.  These were only ever fitted from the factory to the S cars....

Julian

699 wrote:

Very difficult to see in the photos in the advert, but it looks like there is no anti-roll bar present.  These were only ever fitted from the factory to the S cars....

Also fitted to later Estates (I've had 2 x '74 2000 Estates and a '74 PI Estate with them) and fitted to Police cars.