Steering wheel boss

Davemate

If Rimmers won't sell you just the boss, ring up moto-lita and buy one direct from them.
Did that when got one for my mk1 as wanted a 16" wheel and all the usual suppliers only sold 15" ones
If not bothered about the boss going down to the cowl mk2 will also fit along with stag etc

Cheers Andy

Dave sorry I have only the one now - just sold the spare one to Richard Brake.

Always deal direct with Motolita - I think you will find it cheaper .......!  HOWEVER there is a company (Sussex Motors?) advertising Springalex bosses on ebay (very similar to Motolita) which are drilled to take both six hole and nine hole screw fixing wheels.  Price is £25.  

On my early Mk1 back in the early 1990s I fitted a Motolita boss with a Mounteney wheel for which I had to drill a few extra holes, think it is 14 inch but did 15K miles with it and no problem.  The dish was not really enough (like most modern wheels) for the column overdrive switch and I had to bend it slightly to suite however Motolita do spacers which should allow the use of a wheel with a 1 - 1 1/2 inch dish without tweeking the switch stem ....... BUT please check if you go down that route.

If you wanted my old Mounteney wheel you are welcome to it FOC as I have another one now (I could send you a photo because it is scruffy).  Not sure whether to part with the Motolita boss as I may need it but you never know, for an old friend .........

MUT

Oh sorry I found out from someone at Lincoln that someone says I am a bit tedious (because I give so much info in my posting?). Perhaps I should delete the above information ....... (whistle)

Hello Dave,

why not repair your existing bass, grind the bottom of the rivets so you can knock them out. Drill out the holes, if neccessary so that you can fit countersunk cap head bolts (not screws) with nyloc nuts, just ensure the bolts are a snug fit in the wheel and boss.

Alec

Alec the problem with these Formula wheels is not the boss (which is what I think you are describing) ........ its the rivets that fix the spokes to the metal bar core of the rim.

Its not an uncommon problem because they work loose after a while and yes the countersunk heads can be drilled out, the holes 'reamed' out, and new rivets fitted - someone described how to do it about a year or so ago but can't remember who    

The hassle is that you then have to recover the wheel, foam and leather.  Not a five minute job.

MUT

Odd on a min,
ye got a mountney wheel,ok

ye still got the original triumph boss, yes.

then tek the leather covers off the mountney spokes at rim end
drill oot the rivets, get yer own wheel spokes, and fit em to the mountney one,
simples, I did it a while ago

M

Quoted from GT6 M
Odd on a min,
ye got a mountney wheel,ok

ye still got the original triumph boss, yes.

then tek the leather covers off the mountney spokes at rim end
drill oot the rivets, get yer own wheel spokes, and fit em to the mountney one,
simples, I did it a while ago

M

What ?

Pi wheel :- 16"
Mountey wheel 14"
I'm not the brightest bulb in the pack but I don't get what your saying mr m

Wot wot wot Dave,
Here is a Mountney rim, wid GT6 spokes.
mountney is 13 inch, GT was bigger.
So, just cut the end oft spokes,and re fit,wid new holes for rivets

the mountney, has the tabs for the spokes on inside, not  inside the rim, butt,inside the wheel,,sticking oot,
so its easy to fit a set of spokes to it, wid oot getting the wheels cova off., follow,!!

I actually used counter sunk bolts an nuts.
and thee,s are hidden b,int the covers the mountney has on the spoke ends.
simples Ole Bean,

M

Quoted from TedTaylor
there is a company (Sussex Motors?) advertising Springalex bosses on ebay (very similar to Motolita) which are drilled to take both six hole and nine hole screw fixing wheels.  Price is £25.  

One has ordered one

• 3 weeks later...

Pi wheel now replaced 🤔
I don't like the look of it at all, the pi wheel is 16" and it has a thin rim,all the aftermarket wheels are quite fat rimmed. The biggest wheel I have is a 14" and to me it looks way too small
I can't seem to find a 16" wheel for under £200 ish.
Looks like getting the pi wheel fixed has now moved higher up the "things to do" list

Doesn't help that the boss was sold as 1967  - 1972  all models
Seems it's simply a MK2 one

• 2 weeks later...

What you need is some of this tubing (picked up on the side of the road about seven or so years ago. Two segments fit just nicely between the TC hub and Mk 1 column; even nicer it sits there all by itself in the lower piece and does not rub on the hub.

Maybe someone in Australia can identify what/where it came from originally BUT cheap and easy to use.  

Happy to cut some off and post if really desperate (at your cost naturally - I'm a tight b....st...d!).