Small steering wheel

Rychu

Quoted from Rychu
Hello Folks, I have a 13" steering wheel but I'm not the smallest and it just about rubs on my legs.
Can anyone suggest a smaller wheel or perhaps one with a flat bottom that I could try?

TIA

Richard

Do you mean the lower portion of the circumference of the wheel?
Then when you turn the wheel it will just be as bad.....or do you mean when you get into the car its ok?(just getting in and out)
We have a wooden rimmed Mota Lita on the Spit, but chose a smaller leather rimmed Mountney for the GT.  

Also meant to say, I have a 10 inch wheel in my kit car (or as Jasper Carrot used to say, an upholstered shirt button) and that is just about OK for a car that weighs under 500kg. Wouldn't like to try it in anything heavier.

You also have to reshape the indicator and light stalks as they get in the way.

I did the 10CR a few years ago in a TR6 with a flat bottomed wheel, you get used to it after a while.

Quoted from nang
Have you adjusted the steering column? It's possible to raise or lower it.
Tony.

Thanks Nang and everyone for their responses.

Could someone let me know how to do this as I would prefer, if possible, to keep the wheel I already have (a nice wooden Springalex)?

Richard

Not sure it is possible? you can pull the column in/out, which affects height a bit, but also how close the wheel is to you.

Going from a 13" down to a 12 or even 11" wheel may make low speed steering heavy, but is an option. For shapes, if you have time, browse fleabay. Allsorts turn up.....

Low down on the column you'll find an Allen screw (internal hex) and a larger locknut. By undoing this and loosening the Allen screw you should be able to slide the column up or down. If you have a manual there should be a pic for this.
Tony.

Whilst there are instructions to not loosen the set  screw and nut, I feel that this may not now apply considering the age and previous owners and mechanics that have worked on these cars.

They were originally set with new parts.
Present owners will not know if they have been undone and incorrectly tightened in the past.
Over-tightening may have notched the solid shaft in the past, which would rule out any ability to slip, even if the original setting was now applied.
Instructions for setting the set screw were available for the Spitfire 4, but would only apply IF the solid shaft is undamaged.

As with all safety features much thought and checking should be put into this.

I'm afraid I set mine by testing how much effort was required to get the shaft to slide, which may not go down well with people on the forum, but post this for what it is worth.