Mk1 GT6 Door Glass Adjustment

mikeyb

Having issues with the drivers door glass in the GT6. From the fully closed position as you try to lower the glass it kicks backwards and trys to twist between the runners causing it to jam. I've tried adjusting runner postions front and back both tighter and looser but to no avail. The slider felts are old but don't look too badly worn

I also need to kick the top of the quarterlight in a touch relative to the windscreen frame but can see no obvious way to do that either . . .

Any suggestions?

I think the problem will be in the lower part of the mechanism rather than with the vertical guides. If it is similar to the MK3 the base of the window fits in a steel channel and this sits on rollers fitted to the lowering mechanism. It sounds as if one part of the mechanism is seized and not allowing the window to drop evenly.

I do know an authority on GT6 window winders so if this suggestion doesn't work please let me know and I'll let you have his email address.

regards

John

It maybe that the glass is lifting out of the channel that it sits in and the channel is only trying to pull down one side of the glass, if you see what I mean, I have had the same problem with a modern car, I glued the channel onto the bottom of the glass and that worked fine.

Quote:
It maybe that the glass is lifting out of the channel that it sits in and the channel is only trying to pull down one side of the glass, if you see what I mean, I have had the same problem with a modern car, I glued the channel onto the bottom of the glass and that worked fine.

Thanks Spider, just checked, glass it pretty tight in the bottom channel so don't think it is that.

Quote:
I think inside the door there are slots in the angle backets that hold the channels in place. this should let you adjust the quarter light in/out..

Thanks Richard, I had missed the slots in the biright sunlight earlier today

Quote:
the base of the window fits in a steel channel and this sits on rollers fitted to the lowering mechanism. It sounds as if one part of the mechanism is seized and not allowing the window to drop evenly.

Thanks John, the base channel roller guides are in two parts, one for each roller. You may be right, what is happening is that as soon as the window drops an inch, the back lower corner of the glass jumps down and back, then the window jams as it is not parallel to the vertical channels. If you jiggle it square again the window rolls down smoothly.  Rolling back up is smooth also up to the one inch from the top position, then it graunches the rest of the way. Still not sure why though.

Thanks Chaz, I had another fiddle yesterday evening. Played around with adjusting the positions of the quarter light and rear slide, also found a little bit of adjustment on the centre operating pivot inside the door, although not yet fully clear in my head how adjustment of that affects the glass.

That along with a drop of oil in the felt of each vertical channel has resulted in pretty much smooth operation form top to bottom and reverse. However the whole glass/quarterlight combo is now kinked at the wrong angle relative to the door aperture - it's high at the front, low at the back and the rear of the glass now fouls the B-pillar, something that has happened before I think, looking at the old paint damage.

More fiddling today!

Mike, I had the same problem when converting my spity with GT6 mk3 Qlights.
The glass popped out of the runners. Can't remember what caused it but many hours of fiddling cured it.
I just had to concentrate on where the Qlight meets the window frame but you also have the rear to worry about which I would expect makes it more tricky. In the end itw as well worth the mod on the spitty as it held the glass ridged and because of the slight curve made yhe soft top a better fit.
Good luck

1684 wrote:

The glass popped out of the runners. Can't remember what caused it but many hours of fiddling cured it.

Can I guess incorrect alignment? Same problem on my Mk1, I cured it by shimming some of the brackets with washers to better fit the angle of the glass. Now I have new door glasses to fit so same problem looms again...  ;D

That's right had to use a few extra washers for packing. Then had to tilt the lot backwards 1/8" as it was too near the window frame at the top. Once that was done I had to then alter the angle to get the Qlight inwards at the top to be snug to the rubber and not stick out past the front screen alignment.

Yep having fiddled for a few more hours in the sun today, this all sound familar. But I can report success!  i now have a well aligned smooth operating window. Will have to sit down and write a blog entry with the detail, but basically removed the rear vertical channel to properly align and affix the felt slider and found the lower bracket had snapped and been re-welded sometime in the past making adjustment impossible. A bit of work with the file smoothed the weld spatter off and the brackets slid about as designed. I then removed every adjusting bolt in turn and lubricated threads and sliding faces. With the window almost square to the pillars/roof, I then tweaked the whole door "back up/front down" on the hinge adjustment to get the final position. Then I tweaked the top of the quarterlight on the adjusment bolts pointed out by Richard. Still not quite in enough so tweaked the whole door "top in bottom out" again on the hinge adjustment just a touch to finish off.

Very pleased   :)

Now just have to stop the door trim top clips from popping out and that side is sorted!