New guy with exhaust/intake/wheel questions

Geeteezes

Quote:
Tarka - I'm looking forward to shouting in your ear when you and I meet up - WE WILL PROBABLY NEED TO BELLOW. What do you make of the Bell system? Unbearably loud in yours?
As BO cunningly pointed out, the unconvertibles like yours make things louder. Fake GT6 rag-tops like mine probably let the sound out (as they're letting the water in), perhaps.  :)

I heard that, pardon!  :P The Bell system is loud without a doubt but I don't believe unbearably so, although my wife may dissagree! It has a great roarty sound through the gears but settles down to a muted burble in O/D top. I've got a stainless manifold ready to go on but after reading some of the threads on here about not many fitting properly and the ones that do changing the engine characteristics requiring a re-tune, I'm not in any hurry to change it over! I've got a youtube file somewhere but it's taken on a phone and the sound quality is a bit muted without proper speakers on your PC. Shall I fish it out?

To make it even more confusing: I've send Rimmer an email with the question which system is louder, and they replied 'single exit is the louder'.

Thanks for the links, Rimmer is actually a bit expensive compared to others.
Thanks for the picture as well, wheels look good. I always found Magenta a nice color on a Triumph somehow..

2396 wrote:

Shall I fish it out?

The need to "fish it out" I will leave up to you :-/

Is yours a wheel barrow type? I've only been in a car with that type of Bell system and maybe its cos I didn't go on a long drive so it never go that muted but I found it just too loud. I don't mind people looking at the car and thinking that looks nice but I got the distinct impression they were looking and thinking, cock :P. And that leads us nicely back to you fishing it out. ;)

Quote "I don't mind people looking at the car and thinking that looks nice but I got the distinct impression they were looking and thinking, cock"

BO, if you were in a slammed citroen saxo with rude boy big bore exhaust I'd say you were right, cock! I think you can get away with it in a classic as it's all part of the look, sound and feel of an old sports car.  :)

2396 wrote:
Quote "I don't mind people looking at the car and thinking that looks nice but I got the distinct impression they were looking and thinking, cock"

BO, if you were in a slammed citroen saxo with rude boy big bore exhaust I'd say you were right, cock! I think you can get away with it in a classic as it's all part of the look, sound and feel of an old sports car.  :)

I agree Tarka, I probably should mod my statement as their faces changed from "who's that cock, to ohh... that looks nice". Mines got the standard backbox on it and its too quiet for me but I dont want to fork out and end up with something that sounds okay if your going for a 15 minute blast but would drive you nuts if you were in it for an hour. Getting out the car an hour later hunched up like Steptoe, sweating like a pig and deaf :). Mind you having seen a few photos I would say this was about standard for the GT6 community ;D

Quote "Mind you having seen a few photos I would say this was about standard for the GT6 community"

That sounds about right, what's not to like?!!  ;D

BO, in answer to your earlier question, my system is the full Captain Kirk!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPTx5KJpXZ4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7g-cVJxuro

Purple GT6 conv. was owned by Mike Bestard, and what a nice bloke.

Have'nt seen him around for sometime though.

Note that Mike's car has MGF alloys fitted with low profile tyres. He complained to me on the 07 10CR that the car dd not ride that well on the wheel/tyre combo. Personally, I would go for 13'' 5.5J wheels with 175/70 13 rubber. All very cheap and civilised and one that offers a good ride/handling compromise.

My GT6 has a phoenix single pipe system c/w a 6>3>1 system, not too bad and nice and quiet!!

Thanks guys, great response from my question!
I really like the look of the stock system with the sports damper and I think it will sound throaty enough with a 6-3-1 manifold and K&N air filters?
Also, I think 15 inchers might ruin the ride in a GT6. But I got another today: buy 4 mgf spare wheels (14 inch) and put rostyle caps on them. Don't know if it wil suit a Mk3, will have to see about that

5933 wrote:
MGF spares look good! What tyre size are you running?

Tyre size was 175/65 14, now sold as i didnt like them, 13" Revolutions now fitted

1379 wrote:
I wonder if uksnatcher works at an exhaust fitting establishment?  
Alternatively: Anyone looking for a cheap secondhand exhaust should apply to uksnatcher .                   ::)

;D  ;D  ;D

ferny wrote:
Gaz - I just noticed your modified badge for the first time! ;D

Meet Meatball..!  ;)

smithy wrote:

PDU - I think Gaz works in one of those outlets that sells and fits wheels and 'zorsts....  :)

I think sometimes i do Smithy, i am collecting rather a large pile of wheels and 'zorsts...ebay is a friend tho...  ;)

MikeyB wrote:

I've been looking for a set of these for a while for the rally car (got a big pile of 14 inch rally tyres to use up!) , keep missing them on Ebay   :-/

Unfortunatly Mike they usually come with the tyre on the rim as they are spares and probably dont get used, i paid £50 for a set of 4 with tyres.....you could always buy them new (spit...spit).... :o
http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-NAM7199PMN