Spitfire 1500 rear inner wing - options?

yorkshire_spam

So, laying under the motor the other night refitting the exhaust I notice that the bit of the rear inner wing on the OS that stick out below the boot floor is looking "manky". So I prod it and most of it falls out.
I'm thinking it needs at least the "small" lower repair panel, but how should I go about it....

• Strip the WHOLE outer wing off, investigate and take it from there
  • Cut the bottom section off the outer wing, investigate and hope I can get away with the small lower repair sections for both inner and outer wing?
  • Other option I haven't thought of?

Cheers, Sam

You could open up a can of worms Sam once you start prodding etc.

Is it your only car or your toy? Wich leads onto the question
Is the car on the road at the moment, or mid resto?

Personally for me the best wy is to remove the outer wing, then you will see the full extent of the rot.its the only way to be sure you have got it all, but be aware it may turn up some more elsewhere (sorry don't want to dampen your spirits)  ;)

Hey Shaun, car is a running project - it's MOTd taxed and tested, but just been off the road for 3 or 4 weeks while I swapped the gearbox for an OD unit.
I know I have some patches to sort out on the back end of the chassis on the OS, but sooner or later I'll have to open the can of worms and sort that rear inner wing out. It'll bug the hell out of me until I do.
Might patch/bodge it until I've had some summer use out of the car and then tackle it properly in Autumn.
Maybe.

That's what I would do matey, use it and get some smile time on it, then when the mot is out, or when the summer (yeh right) is over go at it then. Enjoy some topless fun! Ooh er!  ;) ;)

I'm itching to get stuck into my mk3 but I have to do some work on house first, or the boss will not be happy!  :) so I envy you to be able to use it!

Although I prefer the looks of the earlier Spits and GT6 I deliberately bought the 1500 last summer because it had 12 months MOT and was a running project candidate - going for the 1500 kept it in budget but allowed me to get a runner.
I've already massively enjoyed the driving I've had out of it since getting it. Gently getting it ready for the 2014 RBRR... adding the overdrive this month was another step in that plan.

As far as i know you can get the repair panels for the bottom 5-6inches or so of the rear wings, i did them on mine as they had rotted so cut out the bottom bits, cleaned up all inside then welded in new panel, suppose it depends how much of teh inner wing you need to get to, if the whole thing then easier to remove rear wing maybe as the rot tends to go further than you can ever see..... did with mine anyway :)

They tend to rot there from the inside out, because they always leak water in there. Mine used to fill up with water when washing it, until I brush waxoyled the boot gutter panels, seams that the rear horseshoe shaped trims sit on, and the seams at the top of the wing (under the metal finisher). Don't know which one specifically caused the leak (couldve been all three!) but it's okay now. Might be something to consider to stop it getting worse.