Easy way to add headlight relays

Andy Borris

Well, I got a Halogen conversion kit from Santa, so yesterday I fitted them using the £5.66 relay loom from eBay heavily cut about to suit the application.

Seems to work a treat too, I haven't tested the lights at night yet though.

Thanks for all the advise and happy new year......

Glen.

Best spot to put relays is right next to lamps.

with a power feed, {fused } direct oft alternator.
this gives a short cable run, so less V drop.
the earths can then also be fitted direct to frame, not thru car loom, as it is just not up to it, as I found oot as earth got v v hot.
So a bigger earth, and shorter run, is also a win win thing.

Use the original feeds to lamps, { dip, main } to feed power to the relay
need 2 relays , one for dip, one for  main beam.

relays on bonnet front

M

• 2 months later...

I've fitted one of these kits to my 13/60 today, and I think it's worked.
It had to be modified quite a bit to make it work the way I wanted it to. I removed my old headlight loom and cut the wires to the bulb connectors on the new kit so I could feed them through the grommets in the headlight bowls, before soldering them back together. I then used one of the old bulb connectors on the main loom where the old lights loom meets it for the "trigger" plug on the new loom to connect to, which made it very neat I felt. I've placed the relays well out of the weather along with the fuse, which itself is connected to the B+ terminal on my alternator as advised earlier in the thread. I've used the ring connectors on the headlight earth wires to connect them to the body as Marcus advised too.  

So why do I say I think it's worked? Well when I lit them up first time, I noticed the L/H bulb seemed dimmer than the R/H one. I then started the car and ran it with the lights lit to see if anything got too hot etc. The L/H bulb remained dim, but then cut out completely. I felt everything, but nothing was hot even after 10 minutes. The L/H bulb works on main beam, just not dipped. The R/H one was nice and bright though. I'm using H4 bulbs, it might be a coincidence that the L/H bulb was on it's way out and has gone at this time. 😲

However I'm not sure how H4 bulbs work, does the main beam element still work when the dipped one has gone? 🤔

Thanks
S. 😎