Electronic ignition..

WIMPUS

Hi!

I've been thinking of upgrade it to electronic ignition for a few weeks now ..
I've seen several kits where you just can remove the points & condenser and put the electronic bit in.
Seen some from accuspark, powerspark ... Are these any good ?  :o

My friend has electronic ignition in his car, but don't know from where (it was already in the car when he bought it).

Wim

Very good upgrade. I fitted an Aldon Ignitor system 10 years ago, it's a fit and forget.  It all fits in the distributor.

The TR has a luminition system, it has a separate box and more wires.

Both work very well.

The main benefit is a stable output, points bounce, need adjustment and replacement.

I've had one of these fitted for about 3 years now there a dam site cheaper than the others, well they were I think I paid £15 delivered. I did buy a spare which is still unopened in the glove box !
I wonder how many sets of points or condensers I would have used, of course I might not have used any.
You must have the correct type of dizzy fitted so check first !

i bought one of these 4 years ago when points were only lasting 3months:

http://www.simonbbc.com/electronic-ignition-kits/triumph-powerspark-electronic-ignition-kit-45d

i have never had to touch it since, i bought one for my dads MGB GT as well and exactly the same, fit and forget, only thing i noticed, apart from no adjustment, was the easier starting, didnt notice any power gain or improved mpg though.

rich

1344 wrote:
I've had one of these fitted for about 3 years now there a dam site cheaper than the others, well they were I think I paid £15 delivered. I did buy a spare which is still unopened in the glove box !
I wonder how many sets of points or condensers I would have used, of course I might not have used any.

Wow, that's cheap !  ??)

932 wrote:
i bought one of these 4 years ago when points were only lasting 3months:

http://www.simonbbc.com/electronic-ignition-kits/triumph-powerspark-electronic-ignition-kit-45d

i have never had to touch it since, i bought one for my dads MGB GT as well and exactly the same, fit and forget, only thing i noticed, apart from no adjustment, was the easier starting, didnt notice any power gain or improved mpg though.

rich

Was looking at the same site just before i posted this thread.
Good to know that these things last for a few years !
My car has new points from end september (and did around 4500km with them).

Well I'm surprised it's lasted so long being britpart!
Normally for anything mechanical I won't touch them with a barge pole! (I have lost count of all the britpart failures we got in the land rover garage) we refused to fit anything from them.
Trim parts, and plastics etc were ok, but nothing mechanical.

Wim , tis I .....Talk to Lee at H and H ignition
I fitted a system from them and I did an article in a back issue, I will PM you with that
The whole set up had been in four years and suddenly the car would not start..............when we were at a London meet.
Finding it was the pick up in the distributor, I spoke to Lee and he sent me a new one free of charge............as they did not like hearing of failures!
http://www.h-h-ignitionsolutions.co.uk/

Bought a electronic ignition kit from Simonbbc (same as Rich) .
I looked at his site and on ebay, seems he sell's them on ebay a lot cheaper ! (maybe 8 pounds, but still !)

Now going to look at something else ... Timing light & co, been thinking about it now for 3 weeks and nearly going mad  ;D

I fitted one but found the trigger ring fitted to the dizzy camshaft (points cam) was floppy on it.  To get the best alignment at spark time between the rotor and cap lugs I had to advance to the trigger ring as opposed to the perhaps more preferable retarded (and therefore unlikely to move) position.

I used a general silicone and set the ring where I wanted it.  Have raced a season with it and she starts well, is smooth and timing doesn't seem to have moved.

One thing though,  over the years I've noticed cars don't seem to go quite as 'hard' when fitting these kind of systems on a worn dizzy.  I put this down to the natural advance that you get at higher revs from the dizzy shaft run eccentricly ( a dwell meter confirms this).

I'd say a good dyno'd dizzy tune would regain all this and more though once the basic installation is settled

Dan

1344 wrote:

You beat me to it Dave.... ;)

Cheap and Britpart but works perfectly ok in my 45D4 and has done for 3 1/2 years of hard motoring for me and Dave, we bought them at the same time from here:

http://www.mm-4x4.com/britpart-electronic-conversion-kit-2721-p.asp
Plus 5% discount off the price if bought from the website

Britpart part number: ETC5835K
http://www.lrdirect.com/ETC5835K-supplied-by-britpart-branded-britpart.html

Designed for Landrovers and originally sold for just 7 pounds about 5-6 years ago, same item sells for around double that now

BrendanD wrote:
Just fitted a 123Tune to my Mk3 GT6.
will post experiences in due course...

Very interested to hear your feedback on this Brendan as i currently have a 123Tune unit which i'll hopefully get to install around Spring time. Did you get your rev counter converted or switch it to an aftermarket one for the electric feed?
Would also be interested to know what curve you are using and find works.  cheers

John

796 wrote:
My Marra Mike has just bunged this onto his AC Aceca.
works of a lap top, so just like the  fully programable EFI set ups.

meb,e some thing to ponder aboot  !!

http://www.accuspark.co.uk/Blackbox.htm

M

Nice find M

Looks like an affordable and less labour intensive alternative to a Megajolt setup.
Not as powerful as MJ but with some tinkering should get the car running nicer  :)

This morning i got the ignition kit in the mail ..  :P

So had a try to install it ..
First try, nothing  :-/ (did some adjustment).
Second try, only running on 3 or even 2 cil  :-/ (cleaned the inside of the cap )
3rd try, first up straight away and ran very nice !  :P :P

Now i need to do is a testdrive, all my tools and old points are in the boot !  ;D
And just need to get the wires running a bit nice  ;)

The pickup ring you put on the dizzy shaft has to be perfectly in line with the sensor, mine fired on two at first...! i used a rubber 'o' ring for the perfect position and to stop it slipping down the shaft when warm.
My old points etc have been in the boot since fitting 3.5 years ago. ;)

Also i added some heat paste Artic silver 3, the same as used on a CPU on a home computer between the cpu and the heat sink on the sensor to the dizzy plate as recommended by Britpart as they are heat sensitive.
( yours is exactly the same as the Britpart unit BTW just marketed as more expensive)
one thing to note is the wires can catch the rotor arm or dizzy cam, make sure its well clear, looks like you have that sorted