Fluctuating Oil Pressure?

Radders

Recently, after moving the smiths oil pressure gauge on Gertie to a different location, my oil pressure started fluctuating up and down.
It only ever used to sit just over half way on the smiths gauge anyway, but since moving the gauge it mainly sits at around 20 and the rise to around half way, then fall back to 20 again etc, etc
Over the past few weeks I have changed the oil feed pipe and then the gauge. (For new items) This made no difference at all.
So last night I drained the oil and changed the filter. (In case the filter was gunged up) I also found that the oil pressure relief valve was only finger tight! God knows how. Tonight, I have changed the pressure relief valve for one off of my spare engine and fitted a new oil filter and Valvoline VR1 oil.
The oil pressure readings are better, but not fantastic. You can also still watch the gauge fluctuate between 45 & 50 at a steady 2000 revs.
Any ideas anyone? I'm hoping it's not the oil pump as I really don't want to pull the engine out before the RBRR.  :o

Our 2.5pi used to do this, particularly on start up - 70psi down to 20 and back again. We stripped the engine checked the pump, bearings, thrusts, etc and couldn't find anything wrong. However when we removed the spin on conversion one of the sealing washers was chewed up, so we put it down to that. spin on housing resealed and all was well.

However, unless the oil is at maximum on the dipstick it still does it occasionally. And no there was nothing apparently wrong with pick up tube etc. Has to be worth swapping the spin on housing seals just to be sure?

Steve,
I had the same problem with the race car once, it turned out to be the oil filter collapsing internally and the fluctuating pressure blew out the big O-ring seal on the spin on filter  ??) Mind you I had the readings going between 10psi up to 100psi and off the gauge  ;D

I think Mr Chatterton was relating to highly polished low oil...........Pressu.............No does not bear thinking about  :B

djw113uk could be on the right track, best to check the rubber seal on the spin on adapter  ;)

My rally 2000 does this if the oil drops below the 3/4 mark between high & low. Ive always topped it up to over full by a quarter again. Never caused a problem with the motor and oil pressure perfect. Do have an oil cooler though.

What do the marks on the dipstick look like against another dipstick?