GT6 engine oil/ Halfords Classic oil?

markcro

Yes yet another oil thread I bet! I did a search and found loads of threads but just looking for a definitive answer. At the moment I have Castrol GTX "High Mileage" 15w-40 in my GT6. There is a bit of rumble/ bottom end knock on cold start up. She is due a change now so what oil should I be using? Stick with the 15w-40 or change for a thicker grade? Is Halfords "Classic" 20w-50 oil any good?
Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

Definitely 20/50. I ran my GT6 on 15/40 for a while as I got a  20L drum of Chevron 14/40 on the cheap. However, the car ran hotter and used oil and was a bit smokey when it got hot, oil pressure was still good though.

I now use either Halfords or Comma Classic 20/50. Oil consumption has improved considerably and the car runs a bit cooler.

I have used the Halfords stuff for the last 4 years of GT6 ownership with no problems.

You definatley need to use a minimum spec of 20w/50 it is what our cars were designed to run on.

However on the recent 10CR i used Penrite 20w/60 and instead of my tired engine running at 35-40 psi oil pressure when hot it was running at 45-50 psi.

I will certainly be using it again.

Details here

http://classicoils.absolutewebhosting2.co.uk/Product-124/Castrol/Penrite/Penrite-HPR30

I got mine a little cheaper (£25) from Max at Totaly Triumph.

Chic Doig recommends the Penrite HPR30 (20/60) for any cars to be use on the motorway or used sportingly. It really is good stuff and at £28 it's price is good. However the Mutts Nuts is Valvoline VR1 20w50, it holds good oil pressure from cold and is thinner on cold startup than the 20/60 penrite so the car gets up to temp quicker and then holds the same as 20/60. The VR1 is £30 delivered? All your choice really, if you don't rag it then go for halfords if you do then you want top quality for longer engine life.

Chris.

20 50   20 60  its all a 20 weight oil at cold. only gits to the 60 grade when it gets hot.
and as the temp rises, it can go fron a 20 up to 50/60, in increments
contrary to pop beleif, there is not two grades of oil in one can,

so if your engine never gets hot, then you will be running about on a 20/30 oil.

when the oil is kernakkerd, all you will be running on, hot or cold is a 20 weight oil. :-/
[ unless you running a straight grade ]

commas is the same and cheaper. as its made by comma.
best is commas sonic 20/50,as its got alott moer anti wear additives in it as all the others,
including the classic, and VR 1
Yet its rated as a SL/M oil.
most oils in this category have very little ZDDP/phosphorous in them,
if they had,they can not be used on Cat equipped things.
generally motorsport oils dont fall into this category,so can get away with it.

I ran some 10/60 RS, [ good price ] the oil consumtion was horrendous, so was the oil pressure.   and as the oil temp never got past 85/90  degs, on normal driving. then it was never really into the 60 area, maybe 40 area. [ as said by the castrol boffins dept, when asked]
not only that, but the oil light took alott longer to go off, when starting frae cold,after a while or so, as the thin 10 weight oil,had run oot the filter / bearings ect,alott moer than the 20 grade oils had.

intresting sites for any one intrested
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/technicalinfo.aspx

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Oils1.html

its not a simple thing is the old black stuff.

M

Comma Sonic is very highly rated and cheap in price but no one up here(scotland) will stock it as they have the comma classic 20w50(same as halfords) for sale and it's not bought very often at all. The company's have to order a couple of crates of the stuff which would just sit not being used so refuse to stock it. So VR1 gets my vote.

Chris.

2402 wrote:
STP oil treatment????? OOOOH whats this then??? ZZDP treatment?

Chris.

No, it's a viscosity enhancer.  Like clear treacle.  Doesn't like to leave its comfy tin!  Works too.  Helps with oil pressure and oil consumption but if your engine is healthy anyway you don't need it.  Mine isn't, so it does.....

Nick

2402 wrote:
Comma Sonic is very highly rated and cheap in price but no one up here(scotland) will stock it as they have the comma classic 20w50(same as halfords) for sale and it's not bought very often at all. The company's have to order a couple of crates of the stuff which would just sit not being used so refuse to stock it. So VR1 gets my vote.

Chris.

Comma Sonic £25 delivered (on Amazon) - if that helps?

Hi, I don't want to hijack this thread but I feel you've all covered off the different oils really well and I made my choice based on this thread. Anyhoo, I'd like to ask what the general concensus is on engine flushing products? Any good, waste of time or downright dangerous for the engine?!  :-/

???
Sorry Chris, lost me there? Or do you mean just use VR1 and don't flush?

Anyway, having had a few engines apart over the years, all the ones that I haven't taken apart previously or known to be "recently" rebuilt, have a good 1/2" of tar-like crud in the sump. Seems to just sit there not causing trouble. If you use a flushing oil that does soften/break this stuff up it is bound to cause serious, if not terminal, problems. So  i would say don't bother.
Better to drop the sump and physically scrape it out. Shouldn't be a huge job, but a little messy. and drain the oil before taking the sump off ;)
That way you KNOW the stuff is out and the sump clean. Of course, if the sump is off it is tempting to look at the bearings...........

(Hmm, GT6 a bit trickier to drop the sump I guess, was thinking 4 cylinder cars)

2396 wrote:
Hi, I don't want to hijack this thread but I feel you've all covered off the different oils really well and I made my choice based on this thread. Anyhoo, I'd like to ask what the general concensus is on engine flushing products? Any good, waste of time or downright dangerous for the engine?!  :-/

I have been recommended to stay away from flushing products on older engines unless you were doing it from an early time. As carbon build up/ gunk may actually be sealing bits and pieces, so by removing all of that you may end up worse off.

Archived