Missed out on the 10CR? Is there space for an additional continental event?

Jason

7 hours ago, Wendy Dawes said:

Darren any myself are currently working on a run to the French Alps and south of France including a few of the 1959 Alpine Rally roads next year  . . . . .  the run should take 6-8 days driving around 250 miles per day at a sedate average of 50mph 

One has to remember that driving on the right in a RHD car does not make for safe overtaking.  Also 250 miles per day allows little or no time for sightseeing.

So, much as we would have liked to have joined in with other CT members, Mary and I feel that Darren is being too optimistic in his mileage/time forecast.

Sorry but we'll stick to doing Border Raider type events in this country (and,yes, that does include Scotland!!)

10 hours ago, Pete Arnold said:

One has to remember that driving on the right in a RHD car does not make for safe overtaking. 

All overtaking is risky. I agree that driving a RHD car in Europe does add an extra element, I know as my 13/60 is a RHD version. I don't know about other countries but here with traffic being less dense than the UK I really don't have any real difficulty. You have to adopt a different technique, hang back a bit more, look up the inside of the road past the vehicle ahead, read the road ahead. In fact just be an intelligent driver. The task is made easier if there is a passenger as they can act as the driver's eyes and check it out.

This little extra bit of care needed isn't really a strong enough reason for not coming over. On the other hand the point about 250 miles per day could be a little high depending on how much sight seeing you want to do, how long a lunch break you have, what time in the morning you set off and at what time you want to be in the hotel bar for an appero.

When I do my annual little trips, last year was down to the Loire & year before a Normandy cheese run, I do less than that per day, in a confortable day at a reasonable cruising speed on open rural main roads. My advice would be to reduce the 250 per day a little to allow a margin for sightseeing and 'scenic detours' (getting lost)

Go for it, you will enjoy it.

• Like 2

Each to their own, for the first few hours I find driving on the RHS terrifying, happens every time I get on a car ferry or rent a car abroad. But I find the initial stress well worth it for events like the 10CR and other runs (classic and non-classic) I've done over the years. I think everyone should do what they are happy and comfortable with - whatever that might be.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, yorkshire_spam said:

Each to their own, for the first few hours I find driving on the RHS terrifying, happens every time I get on a car ferry or rent a car abroad.

I was given a good tip many years ago, before we moved here. when driving a RHD car in Europe when you pull in for petrol, food etc try and pull into a place on the right of the road, i.e. nearside. Then when you pull out you are less likely to forget and drive on the wrong side of the road if the road is clear at the time so no other vehicles act as a reminder. Worked for me. There was one occasion when I didn't follow the tip, we pulled into a restaurant on the opposite side of the road. when we set off again the road was empty and I started to drive on the wrong side. After a few hundred metres a lorry appeared coming in the opposite direction on my side of the road! I thought what the ... is he doing on the wrong side of the road - before realising it was me on the wrong side!

30 minutes ago, yorkshire_spam said:

Each to their own, for the first few hours I find driving on the RHS terrifying, happens every time I get on a car ferry or rent a car abroad. But I find the initial stress well worth it for events like the 10CR and other runs (classic and non-classic) I've done over the years. I think everyone should do what they are happy and comfortable with - whatever that might be.

Usually we are straight onto motorways from the ferry/tunnel, which helps normalise being on the wrong side. And as you say, all is well. 

I usually have undying trust in my passengers for overtake instructions when I am unable to see well enough, and not had any issues. At one point I was going about 8k a year in Europe, those were the days....

31 minutes ago, Clive said:

I usually have undying trust in my passengers for overtake instructions

I did sort of the same before moving here. When I moved out to start an overtaking manoeuvre I would look at my wife's facial expression - if calm and distracted = ok to overtake, if look of panic = not a good time to overtake . .  

1 hour ago, Rosbif said:

I was given a good tip many years ago, before we moved here. when driving a RHD car in Europe when you pull in for petrol, food etc try and pull into a place on the right of the road, i.e. nearside

That's a good tip, I'll try and remember that. I remember in Spain years ago my wife wanting to know why we were queued for petrol pump 3 when pump 7 was available.... "because I can't remember the Spanish for 7 but I can for 3! " 😉

21 hours ago, Pete Arnold said:

One has to remember that driving on the right in a RHD car does not make for safe overtaking.  Also 250 miles per day allows little or no time for sightseeing.

So, much as we would have liked to have joined in with other CT members, Mary and I feel that Darren is being too optimistic in his mileage/time forecast.

Sorry but we'll stick to doing Border Raider type events in this country (and,yes, that does include Scotland!!)

Personal choice nothing’s set in stone 

• 3 weeks later...

It would be nice to hear if you all do decide on a trip and to read about it afterwards.

This year we are planning to use the 13/60 to go to Italy in stages. Firstly the 360km to Freiburg in Breisgau, then LAgo Maggiore about 300km and thence to our destination in Dolcedo where we have a small house. It always needs renovating a´bit after the winter. Plan is to stay 10 days and then in easy stages back. 

If that does not happen, then a round trip to England for a week, thence Ireland and back on the long ferry direct to France. 

It is nice to have an ambition.

On 25/02/2022 at 11:37, Rosbif said:

I was given a good tip many years ago, before we moved here. when driving a RHD car in Europe when you pull in for petrol, food etc try and pull into a place on the right of the road, i.e. nearside. Then when you pull out you are less likely to forget and drive on the wrong side of the road if the road is clear at the time so no other vehicles act as a reminder. Worked for me. There was one occasion when I didn't follow the tip, we pulled into a restaurant on the opposite side of the road. when we set off again the road was empty and I started to drive on the wrong side. After a few hundred metres a lorry appeared coming in the opposite direction on my side of the road! I thought what the ... is he doing on the wrong side of the road - before realising it was me on the wrong side!

it did happen on one of the early 10CR's, white herald drove on wrong side of the road after a stop to check maps, we were following realised we were on wrong side of road and moved to the correct side before we could do anything the white herald had a head on crash... 

My daughter helped with first aid, very traumatic...

mike