is everyone ready?

11 minutes ago, Velocita Rosso said:

..and I thought Yorkshire guys were tight.....£2.50?

I would happily pay, but I expect Ellis will be talking for a while, so will will be at Dartford after 10.

But seems to be £2 a time on account. You could save 50p a time.

I can now almost declare the Spitfire ready for 10CR. I refuelled the car after 10CR2019, and must shamefully admit that I have not been driving since. The fuel seems OK, a bit stale perhaps, but can propel the car. After a refuel it seeems to got better though. Still old fuel is definately better than diesel, for those of you who remembers a very smokey spitfoire in Lille at the 10CR2017.

Did (with great help from friends) a few jobs.

I have changed the wheelbarrow exhaust for a kind of a little bit more silent singular sportsexhaust

Topped up gearbox and diff with oil. Gearbox had used/spilled about 1 tbsp of oil since start og 10CR i n 2019

Rear wheel bearing lubricated

Front trunnions and steering rack oiled

Installed oilcooler (I was cooking the oil in the mountains at 10CR2019)

Cleaned and adjusted the brakes - mintex pads were only half used so they were deemed fine.

Replaced the softtop. The old vianyde was on the car when I purchased it in 1998, and was tatty allready then. So a new canvas was installed.  

New rockers and rockershaft

Carbs overhauled. Surprisingly enough the AAA needles seemed perfect when tetsed on a CO2 tester while driving.

Changed the distributor. Had a NOS one. Now Saltdirk can have the one back I borrowed from him at 10CR2019 when my ancient one exploded.

SpitMK3 seats replaced with GT6MK2 seats. Not sure if this is a good idea, but wife/navigator is happy.

Door interior dismantled, lubricated and anjusted. Now the windows goes up and down!!

Steeering rack adjusted. Now the turnsignal cancels. Revolution!

Horn repaired - turned out the neg earth over the steeringrack-knuckle had broken.

Washed the car.

Problems remaining:

OD seems a bit intermittent. After a extended motorway drive, 1 hour at 4500 RPM, the OD would not operate. After a while, and returning to citytraffic, I could get it to work again. It works happily now. Took the car to work this morning (said one hour at motorway speed, at 4000 RPM though) No problems.

See you all in Sedan!

Cheers

Nick

• Like 1

On 16/08/2022 at 08:10, RobPearce said:

Back in the tail end of last century, I did quite a lot of development work for Rover on adding altitude compensation to their MEMS EFI system. After a fair bit of development down a dead end, I hit on a theory which needed a lot less work, and turned out to be exactly right. Also, it's the same one used by a number of other ECUs. It needs no setting up other than a few thresholds for using the main MAP sensor to measure BAP if you don't have a second sensor.

thats what MS3 does. When you switch on the ignition and before the engine starts it makes a measurement of atmospheric pressure. So if you dont have an extra transducer and drive up mountains I think you need to stop and restart the engine on the way up!

mike

1 hour ago, mpbarrett said:

I think you need to stop and restart the engine on the way up!

A fair amount of what I did was avoiding that problem. The trick is to be able to identify conditions where the manifold pressure is a predictable smidgen below atmospheric - such as wide open throttle at moderate revs - and estimate BAP from that, then use a slowish filter to learn it. After all, you don't gain altitude all that fast so you only need to adjust the learned BAP at the sort of pace it could really be changing at. And when you're driving up a mountain, you spend quite a lot of time at wide open throttle! What surprised us on the Tucson test was how much time you spend at WOT when going down a mountain...

13 hours ago, RobPearce said:

A fair amount of what I did was avoiding that problem. The trick is to be able to identify conditions where the manifold pressure is a predictable smidgen below atmospheric - such as wide open throttle at moderate revs - and estimate BAP from that, then use a slowish filter to learn it. After all, you don't gain altitude all that fast so you only need to adjust the learned BAP at the sort of pace it could really be changing at. And when you're driving up a mountain, you spend quite a lot of time at wide open throttle! What surprised us on the Tucson test was how much time you spend at WOT when going down a mountain...

thats a very neat solution!
Maybe you should have tested it in a less fun car!

mike

Here`s a good one......coming from the North we will be going over the Dartford crossing,with two cars

Making a payment to DVLA for 2 cars 2 journeys......paid for one car, then filling out the detail for the second .......tried four times and it would not allow the payment....Payment decline ` Duplicate application`

Just discovered you can create a Pay as You Go account with multiple cars - I have all three on my account now to avoid any problems in the future. Vehicles can be added and removed as necessary. Cost is zero but there are no discounts on the standard charges & the driver is responsible for checking that the charge has been taken every time.

H

52 minutes ago, Howard said:

Just discovered you can create a Pay as You Go account with multiple cars - I have all three on my account now to avoid any problems in the future. Vehicles can be added and removed as necessary. Cost is zero but there are no discounts on the standard charges & the driver is responsible for checking that the charge has been taken every time.

H

Never had any issues with my Dartford Crossing account. Got every car on it, so never forget.

never even thought to check if they take the money, if not taken they clearly didn’t read the plates!!!

account auto tops up with a tenner when it drops low.

And it saves 50p a crossing I think.

Check you haven’t signed up for a hooky site Howard.

Edited by thescrapman

43 minutes ago, mpbarrett said:

does the NPR work with black and white number plates? Been a few places where the number plates aren't read by the NPR cameras 🙂

Mike

They tried to do me fine me this year for the TR8 - the photos showed the number, they used the correct number in the penalty charge notice but I had the receipt with the same number! Incompetent idiots!