3.63 diff in a Vitesse

Rutty

My Mk1 2L O/D Vitesse diff is getting to the point of needing to be replaced, it currently has a 3.89 diff which is correct for the car but I was thinking of putting in a 3.63 diff to give it longer legs on motorway driving but was wondering how much it would knock down performance.
Looking at the MintyLamb web site at 70 mph a 3.63 would drop the Rpm by 221 which in my mind is not going to take to much off the performance.
Has anyone got any thoughts or experience they can share.

Mark

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rutty said:

My Mk1 2L O/D Vitesse diff is getting to the point of needing to be replaced, it currently has a 3.89 diff which is correct for the car but I was thinking of putting in a 3.63 diff to give it longer legs on motorway driving but was wondering how much it would knock down performance.
Looking at the MintyLamb web site at 70 mph a 3.63 would drop the Rpm by 221 which in my mind is not going to take to much off the performance.
Has anyone got any thoughts or experience they can share.

Mark

Wow Im surprised you want to go that fast on motorways as I find the wind noise of my Vitesse prohibitive! I would have thought the OD sufficient to keep the revs low enough at any comfortable cruising speed...

The main issue for me changing the diff ratio (and I dont have OD) is that I wouldnt be able to toodle round town in 4th as I currently do. I find this really good for extending gearbox life and also a relaxing way to drive. 

5 hours ago, glang said:

Wow Im surprised you want to go that fast on motorways as I find the wind noise of my Vitesse prohibitive! I would have thought the OD sufficient to keep the revs low enough at any comfortable cruising speed...

The main issue for me changing the diff ratio (and I dont have OD) is that I wouldnt be able to toodle round town in 4th as I currently do. I find this really good for extending gearbox life and also a relaxing way to drive. 

We obviously have very different driving styles, toodling around is something I most definitely do not do, the day I do start toodling around hopefully someone will shot me and put me out of my misery.

70 or faster is regularly archived not just on motorways, yes the wind can be a bit of a problem at higher speeds but that’s what ear plugs are for and over the summer I picked up a wind deflector for £25 which has transformed the Vitesse. 
As for extending the life of the gearbox, the joy of the Vitesse is its a sports car even if it doesn’t look like one, that’s why the Vitesse has a close ratio gearbox, hence it is driven like a sports car hard and when parts break they get repaired which is another joy in its self. 
When I drive I drive to have fun whether it’s in my classics or moderns not to relax.

Hmmm the speed limit in towns is 30mph or lower so pootling is exactly what you should be doing! Then one of the Vitesse benefits is its relatively high and wide torque band so theres no need to be constantly switching gears. I think you have the wrong car if you want to race around....

3 minutes ago, glang said:

Hmmm the speed limit in towns is 30mph or lower so pootling is exactly what you should be doing! Then one of the Vitesse benefits is its relatively high and wide torque band so theres no need to be constantly switching gears. I think you have the wrong car if you want to race around....

3 minutes ago, glang said:

I never said I don’t stick to 30s in fact I am very diligent at sticking to 30s ask my wife,  as to say because you don’t like my driving style I have the wrong car I is rather arrogant. I could throw the same  comment back at you and say you should have a herald if all you want to do is tootle around.

• Like 1

Its only my opinion because theres far more suitable cars for racing and driving hard with numerous gear changes and also others much better for high speed cruising. Above I did say 'toodle in town' outside of that I like to use the Vitesse torque to get a move on preferrably using country A roads.

I remembered why the Vitesse ended up with a 'close ratio' gearbox - not for sportiness but because the engine torque is that high a low first gear would be practically redundant. Triumph actually suggested using 2nd gear for all pull aways other than steep hill starts....

On 10/11/2023 at 20:21, Nick Jones said:

GT6 also benefits, though really could do with a taller one, even with OD. 

Is that compared to Vitesse Nick, as GT6 cut through the air better at higher speeds?.

My Vitesse had a retro fitted overdrive and 3:27 fitted when I bought it.

No problem with hill starts, acceleration probably not too perky due to diff ratio, though great cruiser in overdrive and pulls up long motorway inclines no problem.   

• Like 1

Cannot believe we are arguing about this, the 3.63:1 diff is the best compromise for a car to have reasonable acceleration and cruising speed.

My GT6 was a non overdrive model when purchased in 83, 3.27:1, not great as it blunted the acceleration of what is a sports car. Have had a 3.63:1 coupled with J type overdrive in her for 35 years now, by far the best compromise.

If a 2.5L car, then a 3.27:1 might be a realistic option, but aren't the carriers week and therefore susceptible to failure due to torque?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tim Bancroft said:

If a 2.5L car, then a 3.27:1 might be a realistic option, but aren't the carriers week and therefore susceptible to failure due to torque?

Yes. I have direct experience of this. I broke several 3.27 diffs in my 2.5 vitesse. I then fitted a 3.63 which handled the abuse it was given with no further issues. That diff later went into my zetec spitfire, and when removed was still in perfect condition. It was resealed and now lives in Belgium. 

On my 1600 Vitesse I have swapped the original 4.11 diff for a 3.89. A good compromise as a 3.63 would probably be a bit of a stuggle. 

1 hour ago, Tim Bancroft said:

Cannot believe we are arguing about this, the 3.63:1 diff is the best compromise for a car to have reasonable acceleration and cruising speed.

No arguments here just sharing thoughts n experiences as originally requested by Mark👍

On 13/11/2023 at 07:43, glang said:

Can you still pottle around town in 4th Dave or does it need 3rd?

On a strait,ish, flat,ish road it feels ok at 30mph in top, though generally in towns I use 3rd.

As Glang commented, I was just sharing my experience. It was what came with the car and not saying it is anyway it the best configuration. I assume there may be some subjectivity in this anyway, depending on driving style etc 

My Vitesse has a 3:27 with a stronger carrier a la Mike Papworth.It also has a tuned 2.5 with a saloon box , j type OD and  CV conversion. I think its a great combo as you can pootle if you wish but there is a ton of grunt on tap if you want it. I blatted it down the Staines bypass once with a Jag XF behind me, when we pulled up at the traffic lights he  wound his window down and said to me "you must have a V8 in that".