So, why do we have a Club website,Forum etc?

My comment has a hint of sarcasm, as there seems to be more interest in Facebook , and people going off at a tangent ,not thinking about using the CT site

The previous posting was about North Yorks area not having any attendance...and then another member from a different area pointing out a Facebook post about a change in venue etc. Surely the CT site should have been updated 

17 minutes ago, Howard said:

Sorry, but its much to expensive to send a postcard these days 😂

I fully agree that the site needs to be kept up to date.

Cheers

Howard

But thats the trouble....the people, area organisers, using FB are the ones responsible for updating the CT site  

25 minutes ago, Velocita Rosso said:

But thats the trouble....the people, area organisers, using FB are the ones responsible for updating the CT site  

That group does not currently have a coordinator.

I was simply trying to be helpful by posting the FB screenshot. I can easily stop being helpful.

I do know that one of the members has emailed Dale yesterday with a request to update the meeting place details in the CT mag.

Bruce

1 hour ago, Velocita Rosso said:

My comment has a hint of sarcasm, as there seems to be more interest in Facebook , and people going off at a tangent ,not thinking about using the CT site

The previous posting was about North Yorks area not having any attendance...and then another member from a different area pointing out a Facebook post about a change in venue etc. Surely the CT site should have been updated 

For events, especially ones closed to just CT members should only be updated here, FB is not the place for organising CT events. 

FB has its place for chat etc. but if it's relevant to organising events surely this forum should be the only place. 

P.S. I've jotted this down on a postcard but I'm still waiting for the address to send it. 😉

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Rubce said:

I was simply trying to be helpful by posting the FB screenshot. I can easily stop being helpful.

I do know that one of the members has emailed Dale yesterday with a request to update the meeting place details in the CT mag.

Bruce

I think you have hit a nail on the head. Cambridge group would also be without an organiser until Rob Pearce recovers except I volunteered myself.

The forum is good, but it's not always easy to find or update things on the web site. For example CT has a dedicated YouTube channel, but you would never know it from our Web Site.

As for temporarily changing venues for our meetings, I can post it in the forum, but  I don't think I can change the location in the list of area groups.

H

12 hours ago, Velocita Rosso said:

Yes, but we can only update stuff we are told about. 

And to a certain extent group organisers can manage their own Group pages. But in the main, listing updates go via Admin. 

We need to be inclusive, but ideally all events/drives out etc etc should be on the website, and then post on whatever mode of social media you prefer with a link. That way the info is kept safe, won't disappear and can be easily found. 

I used to run my then-department's online presence and in 2009 we decided to go on the "socials".

It took us a while to figure out how to get the most "bang for your buck" but a rough guide is that anything on social platform of any kind is like a cocktail party. You wander around, pick up on snippets of information, maybe join a conversation and more than likely most people won't remember or or come back to said conversation in the near future.

Someone said something about venues and event announcements. That is another area where socials are actually pretty good. In fact, anything of a timed-event nature is always well supported by some form of social media.

The reason is because most people access these via apps and they get the info immediately and can make a decision also immediately.

Sites and forums are great for having searchable content and for longer conversations you may want to refer back to.

It is nigh on impossible to find reliable information on "socials".

More static forms of communication are also better for the reliability aspect.

If someone posts something BookFace I have to look at their profile, scroll through the group and also wait for others to chime in to get an idea if they are reliable or not.

On a forum I can usually see at a glance by the number of posts, likes and length of time they have been on whether they are reliable or not.

Where site admins fall down is not cross-pollenating the info. 

As mentioned here you have to have important info across all platforms. There are technical ways to do this but if you are on a shoestring budget just make sure you have a checklist of everywhere.

(Hyper)Linking can help out a lot.

One final thing social stuff can do is drum up a vibe, or buzz around a topic and keep the interest going.
I attended the London Concours this past summer and  they post a different car or a picture of the venue at least once a week.

Key is having a very small number of people (or even only one person) in charge of the whole shebang.

I have been complaining to Scalextric a lot lately... I am their official forum moderator and their websites and other "traditional" online media are in a woeful state....

Recently they only did their advent calendar on social media and I am curious if it was at all successful...

2 hours ago, Rubce said:

Bruce

You have got touchy when there is no need. You have hilighted what a few of us have been talking about just recently. If you hadnt hilighted  the FB on here no one would have known. If all club related topics are on here then all shoud know . Too much being diseminated on FB

Does Club Triumph need an app to complement and mirror the website?

Probably a ton of work to set it up and keep up to date.

Just asking, not volunteering.

So, probably not then.

Would be good though to able to click on a button on the smartphone and log straight into the Club Triumph website.

It would, undoubtebly, increase the number of visitors to the website.

Jim.

Edited by McJim

okay, I'll bite...

Sometime sooner or later, I say this to most of my clients: I build bookcases, not write books.

You can have everything neatly organised and in its place for easy future reference, or you can leave it all lying on the floor in a total mess. 

The website should be core of the club's online activities, with social media acting in partnership sharing and directing users back to the website. Everyone has access to the website and people pick and choose their social media channels of choice.

If members, group organisers, event organisers or even committee members would like help with the website, I am happy to assist - but please be aware we are a club run by a committee and most ideas and suggestions would have to be run past them first.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You mean the same committee that had input on the previous website format despite having little or no IT knowledge?

That went well.

Don't take that as a criticism.  It is what it is and we've all moved on.

Times have moved on too and most people access the internet and social media through their smartphones nowadays.

I have an android phone and have to go onto the internet via Google, searching for Club Triumph, then tapping on the search engine result to access the website.

A pretty clunky way to access Club Triumph when a tap on an app would be far more convenient in the same way we access Whatsapp or Facebook.

Not everyone has the knowledge or skills to set up their phone themselves for quick access to the website.

If we want more people to use the website, then the path to Club Triumph should be as simple and convenient as possible.

Surely, that's what we all want?

Discuss.

Jim.

Edited by McJim

Very few people go on Facebook to go to a specific group for a browse. They end up on there as a result of their feed which they're using. Consequently, people end up using Facebook more than other sites through a mixture of convenience and conditioning. 

If Facebook was used intelligently and with guidance, it's an excellent source of driving people to an external website. 

Any content on Facebook relating to the club should link to the relevant information on the club site. As an example, "hey guys, quick update on venue change can be found here. To see more information or ask questions please click the link." But, laziness and lack of interest to invest 30 seconds into a post means it doesn't happen. 

Of course, one way around that is for the club to create all of the local groups on Facebook and add admins to the group. That way they can offer guidance and support when needed, have the option of mass posting/advertising for national events and prevents the issue of no one being in control of a local group page.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, McJim said:

You mean the same committee that had input on the previous website format despite having little or no IT knowledge?

That went well.

Don't take that as a criticism.  It is what it is and we've all moved on.

Times have moved on too and most people access the internet and social media through their smartphones nowadays.

I have an android phone and have to go onto the internet via Google, searching for Club Triumph, then tapping on the search engine result to access the website.

I have an android phone and have a link direct to the CT site on my home page. You can save a favourite from Chrome to the desktop so can be done. Cant run thru how to do it as I am doing this on a PC!
Will have a look later and post some instructions. It Does make accessing CT so much easier on a phone.

mike

• Like 4

On my PC there is also, on the right hand end of the space where you see the URL (the Internet link address) of the site you are on, a five pointed star.   Click on that and the current page is added to your Favourites, displayed on the line below. with the excess for lack of space, behind the "Other Favourites " button.

Ooooh ..can of worms and tin opener comes to mind. Personally I feel that we now have an excellent web site and forum ,whereby criticism of the original sites is not necessary as we were all in the throws of learning how computers and systems worked. We are are now supported by an even more excellent support team who do know what they are doing. However we are now going through the Vulcan/Peregrine space shot scenario of `we can do better than NASA` and at the first attempt ,it all going wrong, as everyone throws their two penneth in stating they have better ideas (re CT...not the space shot!) .  The current system is now just what we want ....so why don`t we all support it. Yes we all have mobile phones and like tinkering......but we all know what happens when we tinker....especially with cars

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Velocita Rosso said:

Ooooh ..can of worms and tin opener comes to mind. Personally I feel that we now have an excellent web site and forum ,whereby criticism of the original sites is not necessary as we were all in the throws of learning how computers and systems worked. We are are now supported by an even more excellent support team who do know what they are doing. However we are now going through the Vulcan/Peregrine space shot scenario of `we can do better than NASA` and at the first attempt ,it all going wrong, as everyone throws their two penneth in stating they have better ideas (re CT...not the space shot!) .  The current system is now just what we want ....so why don`t we all support it. Yes we all have mobile phones and like tinkering......but we all know what happens when we tinker....especially with cars

Yes, thanks to a rather good website builder and support, we have a site that does all we need, is fast and works. 

We don't need to fundamentally change anything. There are, and always will be, ongoing tweeks, but that is the nature of the interweb and indeed the way the world works. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Wendy Dawes said:

I have the CT website stored on my iPhone  I simply logged on, opened in safari then saved it as a bookmark on my homepage - one click and I’m straight on the website so

it is very easy to do Jim 😊👍

IMG_1573.jpeg

Same with me. When in the forum I just add it to the home screen. One click and I'm in the forum.  

Danny

• Like 2