Balancing Strombergs

Mark E

Hi MarkE, a disadvantage aside from the cost is the complexity/fragility of that bit of kit - more to go wrong/break than a Gunson or, even more so, your ear! It looks like a rubber cone fitting similar to a Gunson so should fit a very wide range of carbs.....

Quoted from Mark E
Hi All,

Thinking in investing in one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2906.....e=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Any positive or negative experience in using one? Does anyone know if this will fit the inlet on my CD150s or whether I'd need an adaptor?

Thank you!

From the advert: Rubber cone dimensions:-
Small end diameter 40mm
Large end diameter 55mm

CD150 has a 1.5inch throat = 38mm

I know the Gunson tool fits as I have one have one and have used it on the 150's on my Vitesse

I've been using one of those for a few years on the GT^ now, works very well, I always found the gunson carbalancer a bit temperamental and rather mickey mouse. The synchrometers (or snail as I like to call it!) are much better TBH. They often come up on ebay a fair bit cheaper than everywhere else, think I got mine for £25 when most places were charging nearer £40..

You may find my Blog Article below  about showing my Boy how to tune a GT6 including the Synchrometer amusing!

http://cook1e.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/educating-my-boy.html

Thanks for the responses, I have tried using a Gunson one a few years ago on my old (ahem...apologies) MGB, but I never really got on with it as couldn't get a consistent reading.  I think I'll try one of the snail type ones and I'll report back!

Cookie, I showed my son (3) a picture of it and asked him what we should call our one and he has decided on Claude...the mind boggles

I agree, get it (one that fits!). Gunson needs too many hands and it fiddly, I ditched mine for the type you show. Make sure you use it properly though...loosen the clamps so its only running on the throttle stops, then, when balanced tighten the clamps.

Quoted from timbancroft61
Good.I have one of those snails and found it to work very well.

May get shot down here, but I have found very little of the Gunson range to be that good.

You have to compare like for like: the Gunson stuff is cheap and would be no good for a workshop using the equipment day in day out. I personally want to spend as little as possible on this stuff as I use it just once in a while and have better things to spend me money on
like petrol (woot)