Rear disc brakes?

James

Has anyone ever seen these on a saloon?

It seems to me that it would be very easy to make up some caliper mounts that would attach to the trailing arm the same way the driveshaft and back plate do (with longer studs or bolts)

I think there's a kit available for Stags which would fit 2000s.  Not cheap though.

I don't really think discs offer much advantage on the back of a road car other than simpler maintenance, and you really need discs with integral handbrake drums.  The handbrake is likely to be crap otherwise.

That said, I've always regarded rear discs as a good thing when buying newer cars......

inboard might be a bit ambitious. Really I'm just thinking about it theoretically - like to explore such things.

Sorbs - I realise it might be OTT - but with some thought it should be quite straight forward and worthwhile. No reason why discs on the back of a modern car are good and not needed on an older car.

jcarruthers wrote:
inboard might be a bit ambitious. Really I'm just thinking about it theoretically - like to explore such things.

Sorbs - I realise it might be OTT - but with some thought it should be quite straight forward and worthwhile. No reason why discs on the back of a modern car are good and not needed on an older car.

For once I agree with you, the only reason I prefer discs on the back is because they're easier to inspect and service.  They look better too.

You'd probably have to install a balance valve to stop them from locking too early.  This is the problem on most normal cars, even those with electronic force distribution systems, the rear discs do so little work that they end up corroded and seized even if you follow normal servicing regimes.

I remember in the late 70's - early 80's Jaguar had trouble racing the XJS due to the heat from the rear (inboard) discs melting the diff oil seal.

Still nice to get the unsprung weight down.

On the Jags you are supposed to drop the rear suspension to change the brake pads.  ??)

Not in my experience, probably because most disc handbrakes use tiny little shoes and small diameter drums.  They can be fiddly to adjust too although as long as you don't use it when the car is moving they should hardly need any adjustment in the first place.

I always find drums equipped cars better for handbrake turns.

heraldcoupe wrote:
Having just jumped through hoops to get an MOT-able handbrake on our Rover 620, I can see good reasons why not to fit rear disc brakes!
Has any rear disc setup had a handbrake setup as good as with drum brakes???
Cheers,
Bill.

Yep.  My Audi A6 has  rear discs and an excellant handbrake operated by a mechanical mechanism in the caliper.  Still working perfectly after 183K/12 years.

James, I'm quite sure this could be done easily and relatively cheaply.  So many cars have rear discs now (due to ABS mainly) that the scrapyards are stuffed with a huge choice of donors.  Just pick a quality one (not Rover apparently  :P)

Nick

heraldcoupe wrote:
Having just jumped through hoops to get an MOT-able handbrake on our Rover 620, I can see good reasons why not to fit rear disc brakes!
Has any rear disc setup had a handbrake setup as good as with drum brakes???
Cheers,
Bill.

The Isuzu Piazza had ventilated rear discs for the main brakes AND drums for the handbrake !
I used to get about 12,000 miles from a set of rear pads (10,000 for the front) but I never had to replace the handbrake shoes despite doing over 200,000 miles in the two that i used to own.

Oddly a disc that is likely to fit the rear hubs is rover 600 and 800. Whilst researching I noted the amount of complaints about the caliper.

Can't say I've noticed cars with rear discs to have bad handbrakes.

I shall have to do some more research - I have a spare trailing arm etc to mock it all up on.

Kevin - sure they didnt wear out because they didn't actually do anything whilst the car is moving?

Oddly a disc that is likely to fit the rear hubs is rover 600 and 800. Whilst researching I noted the amount of complaints about the caliper.

Can't say I've noticed cars with rear discs to have bad handbrakes.

I shall have to do some more research - I have a spare trailing arm etc to mock it all up on.

Kevin - sure they didnt wear out because they didn't actually do anything whilst the car is moving?

jcarruthers wrote:

The handbrake was usefull for discrete slowing down without the brake lights.
Usefull if you thought there was a police car catching you up when going rather fast.

I only got stopped once for speeding - at 101MPH on their clock - I was doing > 130MPH when I saw them but I didn't manage to slow down quite fast enough not to get stopped.

The Rover 600 handbrake is excellent when it's set up right - I managed to lock the back wheels under power at 50mph when testing.....
Problem is they seize up without any particular neglect. The caliper piston is operated by a cam, which is actuated by the handbrake cable. Scaly rust also builds up where the pads sit, so they end up binding and sitting at odd angles. This is all fine once you know about it and keep an eye on it, but I'm glad my Triumphs aren't set up this way.
Cheers,
Bill.

Got to be outboard.

Inboard-don't Jags have issues in that driveshaft oil seals fail owing to latent heat?
Bill Bradley's race car installation looks great, however for a road car that will not be inspected between races, I'd go the outboard route.

I think the Monarch system uses BMW parts.

Is it worth it though?

Reckon JC's car needs more power before better brakes.

i'm using sierra discs and calipers with an integral handbrake and they are miles better than the old drums,only gripe is they are a tad heavy.one good thing about drums is that the clamping force on the shoes is increased as the drum contracts as it cools.

heraldcoupe wrote:
The Rover 600 handbrake is excellent when it's set up right...Problem is they seize up without any particular neglect.

You get the same issue on Honda S2000s - but on the Honda it's about the only problem you do get!

Archived