J type Overdrive Solenoid.

nang

Nick_Jones wrote:
These O-rings matter btw as if they don't seal then the oil goes the wrong way and the OD doesn't work.

Thanks Nick, makes me wonder if that is what is wrong with my Stag J Type O/D?

It was fine but then cut out after 40 miles, now it wil cut in when cold but immediately cut out and then wont work until the car has been left standing for a while.

while its out its easy to strip it out for a clean

remove the small 10mm circlip in the end, then it will need a few good taps on the bench to get the partly seized inner piston/valve to move out enought to carefully grip it and pull the piston and seals out,

give it a good clean and refit ,  if you operate it without the circlip get ready to catch it as it fires out the barrel.  when  its free
you will see the piston and feel the thing move quite positively.

dont be tempted to  use the solenoid body to screw it back in , a thin 1"af spanner is needed.  its easy to wreck the body

pete

Got the solenoid apart with squirts of WD40 and a bit of persuasion !
Next trick is to find some imperial O rings, everything today seems to be metric.
For those contemplating O ring replacement you need:-
2x 5/8" x 1/2 x 1/16

2x 9/32 x 5/32 x 1/16

1x 3/8 x1/4/ x 1/16.

Tony.

• 3 weeks later...

Very interested as I have exactly the same problem on my refurbished box.
. Did the strip & clean sort the problem?
Or was the problem with the O rings?

I can hear the solenoid working on mine wondered if it was not quite operating far enough.
I understand that the solenoid activates the o/d under oil pressure so should have correct pressure as oil is at max.
Maybe the o-rings are a tad to small perhaps.

Interested to lnow how you get yours fixed as mine will likely be same.

Thanks
Scott

Got mine apart and cleaned everything. The O rings were very brittle so replaced them all. Be careful when putting the shuttle back in, my solenoid body had quite a sharp edge where the large bore joined the small one, which can tear bits off the O rings. I used a drill (about 3/8") to lightly chamfer the edge and some grease.
After I got the front end back together went for a short drive around the block and o/d worked although I have my suspicions about the switch. O/d didn't work previously. I've also changed the gearbox oil, removed and cleaned o/d filter etc. so not positive solenoid was the problem but think so.
Tony.

mine was just having a mind of its own depending where the shuttle jammed itself,  luckiy the o rings were all fine so a gentle clean with some brake cleaner removed the old lacquered oil deposits and returned the operation from a poor click and a slight nudge  to firing the piston in a more aggressive click clack.

guess the problem was due to being unsed for too many years then being forced into life,

what you dont want is the shuttle holding open then going for reverse  can be costly.

Pete

peterhlewis wrote:

guess the problem was due to being unsed for too many years then being forced into life,

Wondering if this is the problem with mine. Not been used for year or two but was rebuilt. Everything looks clean but just wondering if imperial o-rings were used on rebuild. Might just change them and see if it makes any difference.

• 2 weeks later...