Dannyb

8735 wrote:
should be pretty much zero - machine tolerance only

I would say there was about 1/16 inch play so it hopefully it will cure the noise.  I take it a CV joint has a bearing which is probably breaking down, as the noise sounded like that.

New prop now on  :)
Took it for a ride, The rumbling noise has gone  :)  but still getting gearbox noise  :(
Looks like I had two noises.
The noise now coming further forward ,  It's only there on hard acceleration,  Sounds like engine pinking but from the gearbox. :(

• 7 months later...

Got hold of a good gearbox and overdrive together with the bell housing and all the auxiliaries from a car restorers. They had to cannibalize an A1 condition Spitfire for the tub and bonnet for a customer who’s own spitfire he had owned from new could be restored.
It now drives without the ticking/rattle noise on hard accelerating.
When time allows I will take the old one apart and see if I can find out what was causing it. Possible bearing noise. Never done a gearbox before so should be interesting.

Quoted from Guppy916
If you change uj's  fit Freelander units they are a lot stronger, Rimmer's sell them BUT my local Land Rover garage were half price, all four of mine are Freelander units

Can someone confirm that late Freelander UJs are metric and therefore not a great fit in the yokes? I've heard this only recently but if it's true it's worth highlighting.

Well, the original Land Rover one will have had thousands of hours testing to make sure it is up to scratch and the £2.50 Britpart one will be made to look a bit like the original.

That's the basic gist.

There will also be extensive legal paperwork and engineering reports into the Land Rover one.

Personally, wherever possible, I use original manufacturer on my cars, obviously not possible on a Triumph mind.

Exactly why I use lrdirect - you make your choice. From personal experience I wouldn't buy Britpart. I tend to find all-makes and bearmach quality good and very good VFM. For heavy duty parts (like a UJ) I'd be prepared to spend on GKN or Hardy Spicer.
For wheel studs (for the spitfire) I stuck to allmakes as they had the correct chamfer on the head to match the triumph hubs. (CLP9037L)