Diff nose extension bearing play

thescrapman

Morning all

Whilst dismantling my PI I haven oticed that there is slight in and out movement on the input flange of the diff. slight but visible. It had a new bearing about 10k miles ago.

2 of my spare nose peices have the same play, on assumed original bearings.

The spare diff that seems very good  (and is destined for the car), has not play at all on an unknown bearing.

Now should there be any in/out movement (I am assuming not) and does it actually matter??

Cheers

Colin

Hello Colin,

I don't know why there should be any movement, I wouldn't expect the bearing to have any visible end float so either the shaft is moving on the bearing, or the bearing is moving in the housing (Circlip missing?)? I assume the flange is tight on the shaft?

Alec

Hopefully diff will come out this afternoon for a look.

Just been stripping down the driveshafts this morning, time for 2 new bearings and 4 new UJ's.

After 43 years and 120k miles I think they have probably passed their prime. (though one may have only done 50k miles as I mayhave swapped it, still 40+ years old mind!)

The grease in the UJ's has a really odd small, very sulphourous.

Cheers

Colin

All apart and the flange was loose, but it was not possible to tighten it any more, so new flange and quill shaft fitted, and then attached to the spare diff.

Diff back under car (how I hate that job), and now indoors massaging bruises and crushed fingers.

Only dropped it on myself 3 ro 4 times, so getting better. :-(

There must be a way of preventing hurting myself so much, perhaps an assistant is required.... :-)

I might be late on this thread but the diff nose extension usually has shed loads of end float in it. Nothing to worry about. I've had three variants over ten years and they all do it.

The latter now 30k+. Used under hard rally use has the same end slop it had when I started... perfect.

Cheers

Dazzer

thescrapman wrote:

Diff back under car (how I hate that job), and now indoors massaging bruises and crushed fingers.

Only dropped it on myself 3 ro 4 times, so getting better. :-(

There must be a way of preventing hurting myself so much, perhaps an assistant is required.... :-)

I just put it on the jack and roll it under the shell and then jack it up. No problem.

or am I missing something?  :-/

You're missing the fun of crawling underneath the car with the gearbox on your chest on a damp gravel drive, with the overdrive removed for lightness, which then proceeds to drip cat piss scented EP90 all over you eventually running down and dripping off the back of your neck... luxury.

Some people pay a lot of money for that sort of thing.

thescrapman wrote:
My jack doesn't go high enough, teh diff also rolls off it, and onto me as I try to do the last 6 inches.

YES YES THIS

It's like trying to carry a watermelon in a coffee cup.
Richard B probably has some kind incantation that makes it work.
Never again, transmission jack for me.

I must admit I'm not missing the pre RBRR adrenalin hiked last minute maintenance/firefighting!

With two incomplete major house projects on the go, spare time is rather elusive at the moment - but if you're really stuck, give us a shout   :)

thescrapman wrote:

I also don't do lying under cars, it makes me sick. can only do sideways or face down.

pain in the a**e

Well colin if your doing it face down and lifting it like that no wonder you get a pain in the a**e.....but how do you do up the bolts like that?

MikeyB wrote:
I must admit I'm not missing the pre RBRR adrenalin hiked last minute maintenance/firefighting!

With two incomplete major house projects on the go, spare time is rather elusive at the moment - but if you're really stuck, give us a shout   :)

This isn't last minute, I have 2 months to go! More like general maintenance. And also bear in mind I am doing 3 cars simultaneously, rather than just the one that you had to do. So that puts me in a totally different league.. ;-)

Not at all like you who starts with 2 days to go just to get your adrenaline rush.

The car was ready 4 weeks ago, that is the annoying thing.

:-(

Colin

yes it a real pain in the arse putting diff back in,just done mine and finished yesterday,,leak-free now,,,it easier if you put the car on flat ground not sloping(must remember) got mine in with trolley jack and few bit of wood for leveling(big floor type not cheapo chuck-a-way)
wont be doing that again in a hurry :) im on the roll again brum-brum :)