yorkshire_spam

6797 wrote:
Rebuilding Spitfire rear driveshaft..... couple of quick questions about U/Js:
1) Can they be used with the grease nipple in place? They look like they might foul the yokes?
2) [rhetorical] Is it supposed to shear off when you screw it in?
:-/

Cheers, Sam

I've heard that you need to remove the grease nipples of them...
But i've never used them, only ever did 1 propshaft on a MG (a good test for mine  :P )

Don't think it supposed to shear off   :-/

There are some that are designed so you can leave the nipple on. they are a small type and the nipple is missed when the joint moves through full motion. The ones that need removed are the longer type and you need to buy a plug. Did you pump it full of grease before it sheared???? If so then no point replacing it till it starts to knock. If you didn't grease it the you will need to remove it as ut wont last long without being pumped up with grease, in my opinion.

Chris.

The standard and the nippled are generally supplied the same ....both with sufficient grease for running
In all the years of driving the Spit and previous, I have never fitted nippled versions
So if you fitted the one shown ,even without using the grease gun ,you will be OK as there is sufficient grease in
When you dismantle a UJ ,you will see that the tolerances are so fine that you cannot get  
much grease in anyway.They are assembled with a high melting point grease which also assists in running
The only problems I have incurred are when the yoke and flange begin to wear and the cups spin around in their location holes which eventually begin to `chatter` and then you have to replace yoke/shaft.
Then I buy BRT ,British Made UJ`s which are very trustworthy

1/4 UNF.

I replaced the Grease nipples on the Driveshaft & Propshaft with short Slotted Stainless Screws, made them out of some short Stainless UNF Bolts I had left over from the Rebuild.

The worst job is getting them back in when I've re-greased the UJ's, its an horrid fiddly job :(

6797 wrote:
Ended up drilling the remains of the grease nipple out and running a tap down the how.
Has anyone EVER managed to extract anything with stud extractors? I've never managed to get them to work? Always end up either MIGing something onto the remains or drilling out.
Useless bleeding objects.

The only thing wrong with stud extractors is......if the stud/bolt etc breaks off inside a threaded hole ,below the surface, and you drill the relevant hole and start the `reverse` process, the stud extractor being tapered starts to push the stuck stud onto the threaded surfaces. The tapered extractor actually pushes the wall of the drilled hole outwards and tightens on to the threaded hole. The harder you tighten the extractor the harder it grips on the wall.
They have some good uses(if the drilled hole does not make the stud wall thin)

490 wrote:

The factory grease is only there to keep the needle rollers in place; at least on the greasable version - they require proper greasing before use.

.....but on installation, you cannot get any more grease in that is already in
You can pump fresh in after some considerable time, but in each case the cross member is full up to the counter-bored exit and in the caps

2402 wrote:
I actually fill mine till it passes the seals and you get a couple of squirts before they pop. Best to pump em full anyway of top quality grease.

This is why I'll only ever use greasable UJs. Adequately packing the non-greasable type is always difficult, at least the greasable types start life well packed even if they are subsequently neglected,

Cheers,
Bill.

Sorry if i hijack the thread.
But today i've looked at my prop uj for play and noticed it was a greasable UJ, but there is a plug in instead of a nipple.
So where can i find one ?  :)

Or Sam, can you let me know what size they are and how long + a picture how it should look like  :o .
maybe i can find a nipple somewhere then ;)

2402 wrote:
Wim,
         Just buy a new u/j for spares to have on the shelf for when they do go. That way you will have the grease nipple and back up.

Chris.

I've already have normal UJ's in the shed !
Ordered some extra when i did the prop of my friend his MG (better to it on that car first to learn it  :P )