Hub bearing spacers

Nick Jones

• 1 year later...

[quote=Nick_Jones]
Then torque up the nut to the figure specified in the instructions, fit new split pin and dustcap.  I also added a smear of fresh grease to bearing before final fitting.

Hi Nick

Resurrection of an old thread here. What happens if you torque the nut up and the hole for the split pin does not align with the castellations? Keep going 'till it does or back off?

I guess it depends how close it is in either direction - answered my own question I expect....

Cheers

Glen

In the aircraft world they give us a min and max torque range. For castelated nuts we start at the min torque and you have until the max torque to line the split pin hole up. Sometimes it needs to be tweaked a bit but the consensus seems to be that over torqued is better than under torqued.

Quoted from josh18
In the aircraft world they give us a min and max torque range. For castelated nuts we start at the min torque and you have until the max torque to line the split pin hole up. Sometimes it needs to be tweaked a bit but the consensus seems to be that over torqued is better than under torqued.

Your torque wrenches are properly calibrated too, no doubt.

Nick

just cant see the need for a design change for lots of £££s to cure a specification thats lasted well for 40 years and more

whilst small chassis cars have a spec for float 0.002"-0.008" the big saloon manual does not just  states do nut to 5lbft and back off to align nearest pin hole

at 5lbs ft and back  a pin hole would give about zero float.  but ensuers no pre load  (which would soon cook the outer bearing)

Pete

• 1 month later...

I've fitted these to my Spitfire.  In the instructions from James it mentioned that the spacers are correct for Timken bearings and that NTN Japan bearings are not necessarily the same dimensions.  I have NTN Japan bearings, new just before the last 10CR, and new stub axles, so well run-in but not worn.  I found that on one side I needed no shims and got a perfect fit and miniscule endfloat.  On the other side it was too tight so I took 5 thou off the spacer using the lathe and ended up using a 3 thou shim to get a perfect fit.

Just for info really should somebody else be using NTN Japan bearings.