Odd. I have to say I removed my stickers as soon as I could. They were on the car for about 4 days in total I suppose. I didn't want them on any longer. I washed the car and then took them off and all was fine, except for having to wash the car again to remove the black lines of much from around the edge of the stickers.

I used to get white cloudy patches on my hardtop where water got trapped between it and the "waterproof and breatheable" cover. Washing and leathering dry eventually removed them.

I found the Climate Care stickers from the 2009 10CR left the paint permanently lighter in shade on my doors, even though they were removed at the same time as the rest of the stickers. T Cut and polish did not correct it, and it's still like that now. All this is on home sprayed Cellulose plus Autoglym polish and wax.

I had the same on the bonnet of my vitesse  2 years ago. think it all came down to the heat. Was thankfull that this year they were on the side panels. No problems. Although I tried various suggestions at the time,  I had to wait quite a time before the blotches eventually faded.
Interesting re the chamois leather. Good luck with the wedding. Malc.

I think it all depends on the type of paint the car is finished in, my GT6 is finished in two pack and the stickers come off with no problems and without leaving any marks but I do give the panels a damn good wax polish just before fitting them.

Now that two pack is outlawed it would be good to hear from someone who has a car finished in the latest legally permissible water based paint system to find out whether or not this is safe for the stickers. I'd hate to hear of someone who had just had an expensive respray ruined due to the stickers reacting with the current legally available paint system.

I have no experience with RBRR, etc. stickers but last time I went to LM the GB sticker I used had instructions to smear the bodywork with Vaseline, then wipe it off, leaving just a trace or film.  The sticker stuck, but came off without any problems after the trip.
C.

OOPs - still got my stickers on!

Last year my 10CR ones stayed on for 3 months, came off easily thanks to the 'Bancroft Method' ;D ;D

Didn't leave any marks then, will be taking mine off shortly, just need to show off the car first at my local TSSC meet next week to see if I can drum up any more support 8)

One of the reasons I use a maganetic backing.  While some might think that cost too much I want to save the stickers as momentos for my team members.  One must remove even those soon as they will lift and damage some paint if on too long.  As Cook1e said it depends on paint.  On my rallys here, some cars have very expensive paint jobs on cars form the 20's and 30's.  We use Windex window cleaner, spray on just before applying the stickers. You can move them around at first to get them neat and after 3 days they come off easy and leave no marks.  

Couple of us with World Cup Landcrabs needed to remove old stickers (in place for over 5 years) to fit the new fluorescent ones that we had printed for WCR40 (some are still available if anyone is interested).

Our techniques were to place the car in hot sun to warm up the sticker and adhesive before removal, or use a hair drier (not heat gun/paint stripper).  The old plastic would often tear as we removed the stickers which required a little patience but in general they came off with little problem, apart from cleaning off old adhesive which we did with white spirit.

Ted

Archived