Team shorts 10CR

tiggrr1

Well done Steve and Gaz, time for the engine upgrade? 2.5 is a very different beast much more of a GT than a sports car, I like both types just wish I could keep both of mine but the  "Bank manager" he says no. 🤔 Well not if I'm going to start a business buying, selling, restoring, servicing and modifying classics.

Was groundhog day yesterday evening - unwelcome re-run of 2013 with crappy weather, late ferry (though not so late) and the bloody M20 shut AGAIN!  That cost us about 45 mins and eventually got home about 9 pm after much queuing on the M3 as well.

Well done Steve and Gaz for keeping it going and making it all the way round.  Will be interesting to discover what the fault really is!!

Nick

Quoted from sparky_spit

Didn't know that.... And there was me moaning at Tris for taking a wrong turn out of the port and ending up going A2/M2.  I shall have to apologise.

Yeah, I wish we'd gone the wrong way! 🙁

"Smart motorway"!  Yeah 🤔 - presumably they are taking so long so that we forget what it was like before and think the new version is an improvement......

Nick

I always go M2/A2 to and from Dover, looks like we dodged a bullet this time! Howard spent yesterday fettling the 4, new tacho cable, new wiper arms, oil change and greasing and is now off to Angouleme with the TR Register for the Circuit des Remparts. I really enjoyed the Run, being in a 4 I didn't miss my 4A too much, really love that unburstable feel of the tractor engine. However, I dislike the foot dip switch with a vengeance, doesn't suit my size 12s and even with some pipe insulation round the handbrake it was a bit uncomfortable on my left leg. The live axle made its presence felt over the rougher roads and the ride was not as compliant and comfortable as the 4A but a great car nonetheless.

Tim

Quoted from sparky_spit
So, Steve - done a compression test yet or whipped the head off?  I think many of us are intrigued by what the problem was/is?

My bet is a burnt exhaust valve seat.

It will be a little while before I find out.

I did spend rather a lot of time fitting the gearbox before the run and neglected more than a few jobs that need doing round the house.

I'll own up to whatever silly mistake that may have been made in the mad rush to get the gearbox in

Just managed a quick look at the car with the laptop plugged into the megajolt,

It appears that I have done the whole run in limp home mode

The megajolt is reading the vacuum/map sensor OK but is getting no rpm signal, hence no pulling power wouldn't go over 3000rpm.
Limp home mode is if I remember correctly 10 degrees btdc, so basicaly no advance. This would explain the lack of power from the start!!

That may also explain why a Vespa scooter 2 up was pulling away from us going up one of the Italian passes much to our amusement
Nothing immediatly obvious with the wiring but I need to take a proper look when I get the time (suspect a broken signal wire between the megajolt and the edis unit or a duff edis unit).

I also need to dig out my compression tester to see if number 5 cylinder has suffered any terminal damage as that did not appear to be firing since about 10 km before the overnight stop in Ulm.  Every time we looked at the plugs after that there was no evidence of firing on number 5 as it was washed clean with petrol, we did try changing it out once or twice but it made no difference.

Not good news, but possibly not as bad news as it could have been.  Glad that you found it and hope that you get away with no serious damage done.  Certainly an eye-opener as to how an issue like that can be almost impossible to diagnose by the side of the road, and without a laptop.

I can't think what else you could have done. You would have needed at least a timing light to notice something like that.

Can you run the MS interface on a Nokia/MS smartphone or tablet?  Or is there an Android or iOS app for it? Would be very handy if there was.