Stelvio possibly not on the route

tiggrr1

Is this true?

It was said to me by a 10CR inside source that the Stelvio pass may be to far to the east to be included in this years route?

That would be like doing the RBRR and missing out Morrisons Garage.

If it's true then I may take a detour............................................... ;)

There are other passes, in fact there are loads of them!

I'd love to go up the Klausen Pass in Switzerland, last used for competitive motorsport in 1934, Caracciola and co did the 13.4miles in 15min 22 sec, hitting speeds of 160mph. 136 corners, 35 of which are hairpins. Gotta be done.

The Stelvio is all well and good, but it is full of pushbikes and I suspect since Clarkson and co have now mentioned it everybody and his dog!

I understand that we are going through some terrific countryside in Spain and Andorra. Its gonna be a blast.

I think root beer is illegal outside of the US, like monster trucks and cowboy hats - just take some mouthwash and soda water, same thing!
As for corners and hairpins - don't worry, there are many many more available outside the Stelvio - in fact the Stelvio is probably the most frustrating because of all the traffic in the daylight - bikes (motor and pedal), cars, coaches and Triumphs. The scenery and roads are truly breathtaking, especially once you are up in the mountains. The roads in the valleys, by rivers, lakes and railways are good for scenery but not so good for fast driving as they are full of tourists.
The beauty of the 10CR is that there's something for every mood, taste and driving style plus a good booze up at the stops.  8)

That's why we went up the Stelvio in the dark last time 8) - no traffic at all - in fact I don't remember a single other car/bike.

Nothing to do with being late... or choosing to satisfy our stomachs with a fantastic meal before we went up it... honest...

That's why we went up the Stelvio in the dark last time 8) - no traffic at all - in fact I don't remember a single other car/bike.

Nothing to do with being late... or choosing to satisfy our stomachs with a fantastic meal before we went up it... honest...

It's unlikely Stelvio will be on the "official" route as we're taking in the Pyrenees this time - it's quite a distance from one to the other. Having said that, there will be several roads in the Pyrenees that we haven't done before, that have been used on rallies etc. so I don't think they'll disappoint anyone. ;)

Archived