What Have You Still To Do To Your Car

• 1 month later...

Off to Pirtek this afternoon to get hoses for the oil cooler fitment (the ones I had are too long), then I need to replace the leaky top hose, check everything's tightened up right (some UJ bolts managed to work loose for the MOT a couple of years back and one of the manifold clamps fell off on holiday recently), check / refill the diff oil, adjust the handbrake... drive it to Duxford, then Gaydon, then to the Lakes with the Cambridge group. Then fix anything that breaks on those trips.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RobPearce said:

Off to Pirtek this afternoon to get hoses for the oil cooler fitment (the ones I had are too long), then I need to replace the leaky top hose, check everything's tightened up right (some UJ bolts managed to work loose for the MOT a couple of years back and one of the manifold clamps fell off on holiday recently), check / refill the diff oil, adjust the handbrake... drive it to Duxford, then Gaydon, then to the Lakes with the Cambridge group. Then fix anything that breaks on those trips.

Lets hope its nothing serious that lets go on your trips and its just the basic running repairs.

1 hour ago, Bradison said:

Lets hope its nothing serious that lets go on your trips

There's a bit of a tradition of something fairly significant failing on someone's car whenever the Crash Test Dummies Cambridge Triumph Drivers do a trip. Usually it's Toby's Hurricane or Tom's Herald, although my Vitesse did a "refuse to carry on at that speed!" when we did the NC500. So far, since getting its new fuel tank last year, the Spitfire has only shown non-terminal niggles, but I haven't subjected it to more than four hours near-continuous driving yet.

Fitted new front EBC brake discs and pads to the Spit yesterday which I’m really pleased with as it has solved a pulsating brake pedal that I’ve had for a while. 🙂 

However I noticed that the rubber seal on both brake callipers have gone so another job to do before the RBRR! 

Currently trying to diagnose a fuel issue.

I'm hoping it's the cheap regulator I fitted a few year ago and not the rather expensive pump! 

If you floor and and get boost it's fine, but then runs so lean it bunny hops. Says to me the regulator is sticking. 

Edited by ferny
  • Like 1

My spitfire is alive! Full road test on Sunday (what a corking day for a test drive), covered 350 miles. Overdrive works perfectly. Engine oil pressure wasn't great but i'll reserve judgement for now as it was running-in oil.

Slight concern about chattering clutch release bearing though, I'm not sure how worried I should be about that... any thoughts anyone?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PeteStupps said:

My spitfire is alive! Full road test on Sunday (what a corking day for a test drive), covered 350 miles. Overdrive works perfectly. Engine oil pressure wasn't great but i'll reserve judgement for now as it was running-in oil.

Slight concern about chattering clutch release bearing though, I'm not sure how worried I should be about that... any thoughts anyone?

Engine oil pressure on my recently built engine was terrible on the running in oil, as soon as it'd bedded in and I switched to decent oil the pressure was fine. 

My Vitesse (Team 93)  is up and running after being taken off the road in 1982 = trying to get enough miles on her to see what breaks/perishes  - stranded on the A31 on Monday luckily I had plenty of spares - quick change of a condenser and I was on my way - decision to be made do I fit electronic ignition???  

15 hours ago, Lemon Hell said:

decision to be made do I fit electronic ignition???  

Yes. I have a cheapy power spark or whatever it is, fitted in 2013 after a nearly new points/condensor set let me down and I had to get recovered from the roadside (oh the shame of not carrying a spare!) - it's done the RBRR and 2 10CR and load of other miles utterly trouble free. I carry a spare points/condensor set in the boot with a screwdriver and feeler gauge set "just in case" but have never needed them. 

Spitfire went for an MOT this afternoon. Only one issue (which they ignored as they know I'll fix it) - no brake lights! The switch has fallen apart. I was toying with replacing it anyway as I've got what I believe to be a suitable much better quality switch in my collection of electronic components.

10 hours ago, PaulB said:

New brake callipers have arrived for the Spit so will be fitting them hopefully this week. 

Any useful tips or tricks when fitting?

Should be pretty straightforward, assuming it's got pistons already fitted? I think there's an issue with some of the repro calipers though, remember reading something about people having problems with them sitting slightly to one side or something..? 

I would take the old one off and carefully compare them with the new before sticking them on