Jump to content

What Have You Still To Do To Your Car


Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, PaulB said:

New brake callipers have arrived for the Spit so will be fitting them hopefully this week. 

Any useful tips or tricks when fitting?

Should be pretty straightforward, assuming it's got pistons already fitted? I think there's an issue with some of the repro calipers though, remember reading something about people having problems with them sitting slightly to one side or something..? 

I would take the old one off and carefully compare them with the new before sticking them on

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh yes, they noticed! I was sat in the car operating the controls, the tester said "no brake lights", I looked back and confirmed. A bit later, I got out, had a look in the footwell, saw half the switch hanging off the wiring and said "I know why there's no brake lights". When the test was complete, since that broken switch was the only fail, the tester said "you'll fix that, won't you" and marked it as a pass. I could have fixed it there and then if they'd had the right switch on the shelf.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, PeteStupps said:

Should be pretty straightforward, assuming it's got pistons already fitted? I think there's an issue with some of the repro calipers though, remember reading something about people having problems with them sitting slightly to one side or something..? 

I would take the old one off and carefully compare them with the new before sticking them on

Thanks Pete, will do. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve been struggling to set up the rebushed carbs, really difficult to get them to run consistently so I checked the fuel pump just in case there were any issues there and it promptly fell to pieces!!! I suppose it’s lucky it happened now and not on the run and with a bit of luck when the new huco one arrives Tuesday I’ll be able to get the carbs dialed in ready for the drivers meet🤞🏻

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Tim Bancroft said:

One heater hose to swap and fit some decent pads to the car, now have Stag front brakes.

Otherwise all good...famous last words!

I've got 1155's now and I'm very happy with them in all conditions. 

 

 

Edited by ferny
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FloydP said:

I’ve been struggling to set up the rebushed carbs, really difficult to get them to run consistently so I checked the fuel pump just in case there were any issues there and it promptly fell to pieces!!! I suppose it’s lucky it happened now and not on the run and with a bit of luck when the new huco one arrives Tuesday I’ll be able to get the carbs dialed in ready for the drivers meet🤞🏻

Do you need someone to stand behind you and help? I can buy a cigar.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just the heater cable to re-attach…

Oh hang on, got to put the seats and belts back in, clean off and prime and paint a little bit of rust on the rear chassis rails, refit rear wire hubs and wheels, and fit new pistons to front callipers and change brake fluid. Apart from that, nothing!

Does anyone use a Go Pro camera and if so where’s the best mounting point on a TR? Is anyone using a Facebook live feed? 
Kevin

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Boxofbits said:

Does anyone use a Go Pro camera and if so where’s the best mounting point on a TR?

I'm probably going to fit my GoClone somewhere. Unfortunately the kit only included two sticky pads and they're fitted (rather permanently, it seems) to the other two cars. I might do a bit of fabrication like I did for the mobile phone / GPS holder.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RobPearce said:

I'm probably going to fit my GoClone somewhere. Unfortunately the kit only included two sticky pads and they're fitted (rather permanently, it seems) to the other two cars. I might do a bit of fabrication like I did for the mobile phone / GPS holder.

I do have somewhere a mount with a sucker pad on it, and in the past I’ve attached it to the wooden glove box lid. It did come open once, so I got some footage of the roof! I’m trying to go for a better fixing this time,,,

Kevin

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, FloydP said:

Is this the moment your referring to🤪🤪🤪

99A6D502-2EB8-4D0F-B0D4-3DAD6CEEAA32.jpeg

I remember that. You were fixing your carb whilst I was fixing the securing bolt on my alternator.

Ferny was smoking his cigar whilst your car was peeing petrol everywhere ! 🤣

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Replaced brake callipers today. Brakes are now feeling great. 
 

Next on the list is to fix a slight exhaust leak on the join between front pipe and down pipe. I really need to do this as exhaust fumes are going up into the interior of the car. 

Just wish I had a 2 or 4 post lift! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I still need to replace an engine mount (they seem to be a regular service consumable these days) and have another go at stopping the footwell carpet from riding up under the clutch pedal. Then for the run I should swap the passenger seat out for the GT6's reclinable one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With two overnight drives a healthy charging system is very important. I have no concerns but as a precaution today I plan to remove the dynamo and check the brushes. This will also be an oppportunity to oil the rear bearing, I find it impossible to do this with the dynamo in situ, the exhaust manifold is too close to allow access. I will also remove the fan belt and check that is is still in perfect condition.

Tim

Link to comment
Share on other sites

MOT for the GT6 on Thursday - 1st one since put back together.  It was a stalled restoration I bought.  In the end I've checked and replaced most things including a rotoflex rear end rebuild, new bearings and re shimming in the last month. Done about 300 mixed miles since so hoping got the end float right so it doesn't weld the bearings to the hubs....

Used as a daily driver which has thrown up a few issues.  Not least a lightweight alternator bracket off ebay (welded steel as opposed to the cast original).  This has  snapped.  So if you have one like this, be wary - not up to the job in my case.  That's something you cant really fix by the side of the road.....

Otherwise, need to check mixture, change oil, filter check replacement fan belt. I bought a spare accusspark distributor and intend to swap out original and set up spare so I know it works with a spare clamp.  

A distributor swap saved my bacon in 2016 on my spitfire.  Check out any delco spare rotor arms as these are crap - even some ones that are coloured red!

Bob

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Tim Hunt said:

With two overnight drives a healthy charging system is very important. I have no concerns but as a precaution today I plan to remove the dynamo and check the brushes. This will also be an oppportunity to oil the rear bearing, I find it impossible to do this with the dynamo in situ, the exhaust manifold is too close to allow access. I will also remove the fan belt and check that is is still in perfect condition.

Tim

Just as well I checked. The brushes had worn unevenly and both were down to the 11/32" wear limit at one end. The fan belt passed a very careful examination. I have just fitted the hard top. I always use this on serious events, depite the fact the chassis is 100% having the hard top firmly bolted in place stiffens the car and noticeably sharpens the  handling. Now really looking forward to seeing many at the Gaydon drivers' meeting on Saturday and of couse even more so the actual event. I know it's sad but I have been suffering RBRR withdrawal symptoms for far too long now! 

Tim

IMG_0505.JPG

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good save, Tim. I am in awe of your enthusiasm for the RBRR, after so many, to be so enthusiastic is just fantastic.

It is amazing that it is 3 years since the last RBRR.

We had a very productive planning meeting for the Drivers Meeting yesterday.

One of the things that amazes me is how much more complicated running the RBRR is these days. This is my 9th as Main Organiser and the event has so many more aspects to it than in 2004.. Maybe I am getting too old, but everything seems more complicated these days!

I am looking forward to just driving and driving!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I popped out at lunch time today to get my spare, unworn bonnet hinges sandblasted.  They were done while I waited, which was very good of them. They now need etch priming, priming and finally, color coat.

Front brake disc skim on car on Wednesday, then new Mintex 1144 pads, oil change and gearbox oil level check. Then the hardtop will be fitted, including high-level brake light to be reinstated.  Will also have all 4 wheels checked for balancing. Then wants detailing, and stickers applying.

 

Roll on 01.10.21 !!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not much to do now, but  I have been very busy over the past two months or so.

New big ends, new oil pump, new crankshaft pulley (Stirling Rattler), new Koni adjustable front shocks, new steering rack and polyurethane bushes, new track rod ends, new ball joints, polyurethane drag strut bushes and track control arm bushes, 14 inch electric fan fitted, radiator re-cored and new seat belts fitted. 

Just awaiting delivery of a new alternator and that's me finished now.

Looking forward to the run very much and really missed it last year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...