What Have You Still To Do To Your Car

34 minutes ago, ferny said:

Been there, done that.

It's a weird feeling of macho pride, guilt and panic to find a good second hand vice!

Totally agree. Thing is I was only pressing a uj into the prop shaft… if it was something else I would have found myself riding an epic man wave

Callipers have now been replaced in addition to new updated disks and pads.

Jobs left are:

Fix speedo, hoping that the connection at the back has just come loose as I only replaced this cable earlier this year. 

Fix carpets so that they don’t ride up under feet.

Finally try and get all speakers on the stereo to work.

F116E9C9-A4C8-460B-BB8E-E2B83CED3D89.thumb.jpeg.25cc6efb03b35171bee1da4c66a2559c.jpeg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, PaulB said:

Fix carpets so that they don’t ride up under feet.

Finally try and get all speakers on the stereo to work.

F116E9C9-A4C8-460B-BB8E-E2B83CED3D89.thumb.jpeg.25cc6efb03b35171bee1da4c66a2559c.jpeg

Things like carpets, speakers etc really improve your experience of the run.  Getting in and out and having to pull carpets back from the under pedals really gets irritating over 2000 miles when you are a bit tired.   Squeaks, rattles I’ll fitting doors, windows etc are in the same league. This year is the first time in 3 goes that I’ve time to fiddle with such matters.  Usually just happy it actually drives…!!

Bob

1 hour ago, Horace said:

Things like carpets, speakers etc really improve your experience of the run.  Getting in and out and having to pull carpets back from the under pedals really gets irritating over 2000 miles when you are a bit tired.   Squeaks, rattles I’ll fitting doors, windows etc are in the same league. This year is the first time in 3 goes that I’ve time to fiddle with such matters.  Usually just happy it actually drives…!!

Bob

Couldn’t agree more. Managed to resolve a lot of rattles and squeaks over the years but seems to be a never ending battle! 

I’ve had a disaster!!!! One of my carb  floats was sticking, I had a look and one of the posts was leaning over I gently tried straightening it but it fell off so I desperately need a stromberg cd150 carb body the type with a rising choke bar and unless I find one soon it looks like the GT6 won’t make it.

So I don’t suppose any one has an old cd150 carb body I could buy/borrow, in desperation I’ve super glued the post back in but I’m pretty sure it’s not going to be strong enough.

8D8C925C-02DE-48A9-B564-9D5300418771.jpeg

2 minutes ago, PeteStupps said:

@FloydP no help to you but I did the same thing a couple of years ago. Tried one of those epoxy 'liquid metal' things but it didn't work. Not even briefly. Good luck

Well it kind of is a help as JB weld was suggested which I think is an epoxy type thing and your experience has convinced me not to bother🤣 I think the chance of it failing on the run is to high to risk it.

• Like 1

Hi all, thanks for all the help, I think I might have a solution that means I get to use my original carb. It’s a bracket held down by the float valve, I’ll make it in 2mm aluminum which is the same thickness as the aluminum washer under the valve at the moment. I can’t think of any problems with it but would like opinions. The pictures are of a tin mock up I made early this morning.

BB86CF48-6AB8-42FC-A077-EEAEE624A889.jpeg

28116770-2E82-40E6-922F-FF8D30008BDB.jpeg

• Like 2

Pads were down to a minimum 4mm thickness of friction material. More than enough for the Run but I changed for a new set anyway. I use Ferodo DS performance pads, I settled on these as an upgrade after being dissatisfied with Green Stuff (poor initial bite and could be provoked into fading after repeated hard use). Mintex 1144s were an improvement in initial bite and fade resistance but I could never eliminate a squeal under light braking and this really got on my nerves.

I read of Ferodo DS Performance pads in the Burton Power catalogue (www.burtonpower.com) and ten years ago purchased a set of FER 167 in the FDS specification. Immediately after fitting the pads I found a quiet, straight stretch of road and bedded them in. After the first few applications I could already appreciate more initial bite and stopping power. On the 10CR in September 2011 we traversed twenty Alpine passes including the St. Gotthard, St Bernadino and Stelvio and despite hard use we experienced no fade, the pads always inspiring confidence. At one stage I tried a judicious test application on a German autobahn in pouring rain and once again the bite was instantaneous and the retardation progressive. I was a convert and think the DS Performance pad would be hard to improve on for fast road use. What's more they never squeal The previuous set served me for 45K miles so I have to face uo to the fact that the new ones will probably see me out!! The FER167 fitted a number of '70s Ford models, these had metric callipers and the holes simply need enlarging to suit the 1/4" guide pins in my callipers. They should fit later TR6s with metric callipers without modification.

Tim

Worn FDS167 ~4mm.JPG

FDS 167 (1).JPG

FDS 167 (2).JPG

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, FloydP said:

Hi all, thanks for all the help, I think I might have a solution that means I get to use my original carb. It’s a bracket held down by the float valve, I’ll make it in 2mm aluminum which is the same thickness as the aluminum washer under the valve at the moment. I can’t think of any problems with it but would like opinions. The pictures are of a tin mock up I made early this morning.

BB86CF48-6AB8-42FC-A077-EEAEE624A889.jpeg

28116770-2E82-40E6-922F-FF8D30008BDB.jpeg

Fantastic news, I’ve just finished putting the GT6 back together and taken it for a quick blast and it all seems good, fingers crossed for Saturday 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

• Like 2

Another MOT pass with no advisories (of course) this morning. I took the long way round to the test station to give me a chance to bed in the new brake pads. The tester actually commented on how good the efficiency of the braking system was.  I know the car is technically exempt from the annual MoT test now but I see value in having another pair of eyes give the car a regular once over for my peace iof mind.

Tim 

• Like 2

Interesting Tim,

Does the Ferodo DS pads cause a lot of brake dust on the wheels?

I’ve got EBC green pads on my Spit with EBC upgraded disks and haven’t experienced the problems you’ve mentioned but I may consider these when replacing them in the future. One of the reasons I switched to EBC apart from performance improvement was my previous pads used to create loads of brake dust.