Cadwell - The Good, The Bad &...

Chriss

Thanks everyone for comming to drive and spectate.  I hope you all enjoyed yourselves.  I certainly did, although the journey home was a bit more "bumpy" than I would have wished.

So we can improve next time, please will you provide feedback on what you thought went well and what could be improved.  Usual format.  I'll start the lists below, you copy and add.  Thanks very much

Good   8)

1.   Use of the forum to record interest and payment

2.   The way everyone paid so promptly, without needing to be chased.  Thanks very much   :)

Could do Better   :-/

1. Conjestion - I though that the way the marshalls let us out in random order in one rush ment that the early parts of the sessions were very conjested.  Other circuits let cars out at intervals so there is the opportunity to overtake, or usually the quicker cars are the first to get prepared to go out, Q in order and are let out fastest first.

Good  

2.   The way everyone paid so promptly, without needing to be chased.  Thanks very much  

3.   Driving stds and manners exhibited by CT drivers: Thanks very much.

Could do Better  

1. Conjestion - I though that the way the marshalls let us out in random order in one rush ment that the early parts of the sessions were very conjested.  Other circuits let cars out at intervals so there is the opportunity to overtake, or usually the quicker cars are the first to get prepared to go out, Q in order and are let out fastest first.

Good  

2.   The way everyone paid so promptly, without needing to be chased.  Thanks very much  

Could do Better  

2.  Signing on 8AM, noise test then driver's briefing ending 10 minutes before our first session. That meant us running back to the car and throwing everything out of it as fast as we could - all too much of a rush. Signing on, driver briefing etc should have been 30 minutes earlier or the first session 30 minutes later.

Good  

Could do Better  

2.  Signing on 8AM, noise test then driver's briefing ending 10 minutes before our first session. That meant us running back to the car and throwing everything out of it as fast as we could - all too much of a rush. Signing on, driver briefing etc should have been 30 minutes earlier or the first session 30 minutes later.

3. No mention of fuel availability and times open in the original brief from the track organiser.Albeit we always take full spare containers some were confused and could not obtain. We loaned some out until the pump was open.Could be useful in the next event

Driving stds and manners exhibited by CT drivers: Thanks very much.

Good  

3.  Driving stds and manners exhibited by CT drivers: Thanks very much.

4. The relatively low numbers of cars out on the track together gave loads of driving space

Could do Better  

3. No mention of fuel availability and times open in the original brief from the track organiser.Albeit we always take full spare containers some were confused and could not obtain. We loaned some out until the pump was open.Could be useful in the next event.  No mention of local petrol station two miles down the road (left turn out the entrance)

Good  

4. The relatively low numbers of cars out on the track together gave loads of driving space

5.  Excellent facilities on site. All the Cadwell people were happy to help, whether trackwise (marshals etc.) or support (canteen etc. and the food was excellent quality and value for money).

6.  On track instruction fantastic value for money for what for me was a demanding/involving circuit.

Could do Better  

3. No mention of fuel availability and times open in the original brief from the track organiser.Albeit we always take full spare containers some were confused and could not obtain. We loaned some out until the pump was open.Could be useful in the next event.  No mention of local petrol station two miles down the road (left turn out the entrance)

Good  

5.  Excellent facilities on site. All the Cadwell people were happy to help, whether trackwise (marshals etc.) or support (canteen etc. and the food was excellent quality and value for money).

6.  On track instruction fantastic value for money for what for me was a demanding/involving circuit.

7. CT people all where very helpful and kept my mind of the broken drive shaft by leting me be passage. thanks

Could do Better  

Good  

7. CT people all where very helpful and kept my mind of the broken drive shaft by leting me be passage. thanks

Could do Better  

Just like to point out that both noise testing and sign on started at 7:30. Yes, it is a busy time.
Common to all track day operators, briefing is always the last thing so as to include as many late arrivals as possible. Most people prep their car and noise test before the briefing.
Starting at 9:30 means 10 mins less track time for everyone. - Tim Guy MGoT

Good  

8. It occured to me today that it was really positive that there were so many young people involved in the driving and owning of these cars there, it augers well for the future- well done guys :).

Could do Better  

Just like to point out that both noise testing and sign on started at 7:30. Yes, it is a busy time.
Common to all track day operators, briefing is always the last thing so as to include as many late arrivals as possible. Most people prep their car and noise test before the briefing.

Good  

Could do Better  

I'll talk with MGoT about this and get them to space cars as at Goodwood, or be consistent on which Q they let out first.

It is a "feature" of Track Days that 7:30 to 09:00 is the busyest time.  We happened to be first out at Cadwell, this will not always be the case, but cars should be prepared and ready to go out before the briefing.  This may mean getting to a circuit by 07:00.  I have made this clear in my Guide and on other occasions.  I regret it is a TD fact of life   :(

Good point.  Fuel needs to be covered in the briefing.  It is safest to presume fuel will not be availible at a circuit and either come with a full tank, if your car does not leak fuel from the filler cap, bring fuel in safe cans, or plan to go out during the lunch pause, so find out where the nearest filling station is before lunch.

I don't understand the query about 'Congestion', I am sure the Marshalls at a track are not aware of the relative speed of the various vehicles, so not sue how they can 'grade' the cars. Also at a track like Cadwell or Mallory, faster cars let out at the front would start to catch up slower vehicles at the tail by the end of a session.

I found very little to fault about the TD and in general the MGoT TDs, always seem to me to very efficient and run with enthusiasm.

I have attended about 30 TDs with various organisations and must say that I have found MGoT to be the best run. Good value for money too!

I don't understand the congestion statement either.  As one of the slower cars, I tried to get near the back of the cue to let the faster cars out before me.  Worked well, and I had most of my laps with an empty track in front and little or no traffic on my tail until near the end of the session when I was lapped!  

It's sensible to take it easy on the 1st lap anyway as the brakes and tyres will be cold, it's no prob to keep an eye on the mirror and let faster cars past in this lap!

Here is an explanation about congestion, and I am not the only one making this point.

There were several sessions - late morning and early afternoon - where Qs formed with the slower cars at the front and faster cars at the back, so apart from the car at the front everyone was trying to get past.  All were obaying the rules but it took nearly all the session to free up the congestion. In some peoples' oppinion these were wasted sessions.

Part of the cause of this was letting all of the cars out one go in random order.  First this bunched cars and second some of the faster cars were towards the back.

Last year at Cadwell the marshalls always let the Q on the lhs of the staging area out first.  Quicker car drivers soon realised this and got into the staging Q early and so did not suffer undue congestion, although there was bunching at the begining of the session.

At Goodwood they let you out one at a time at 8-10 second intervals so there is no bunching and overtaking is straightforward.

Different circuits would need to adopt different approaches and if Cadwell had done what they did last year there would have been less congestion.

A `rent a pit` would be nice. For example being able to inspect or repair your car that may have a problem on the day.
Like Tim ,who was struggling with his half shaft or Jango with his diff etc. Having somewhere to get underneath , rent equipment etc would be a bonus, even if it was to do `get u home `repairs, like zip strapping Dolly alternators on. Im sure some would pay for such a facility (or club) that would assist on the day.  

See your point, Mike, but I wonder if really necessary. Def. necessary if it rains though!!
I am sure if the weather had been foul and someone had something serious to sort out, they would have been able to use the scrutineering bay?

Tracks like Silverstone and Goodwood have covered paddock areas where we can station the cars. Silverstone is especially good-lovely to be able to use the same areas that the F1 boys use!

Still I enjoyed myself wallowing around on the GT6 rear tailgate carpet!

Archived